Deps Skin getting cloudy..

ereyeckeyem

^^^that would be awesome. Switch out front and back halves and make all kinds of crazy patterns.

But for now. Repaint! I mentioned in a post a while back I had a deps repainted by Rafa Custom Baits. This was mostly because I wanted a color switch but it was also due to the fact that my deps inner foil was getting all scuffed up and peeled, as well as the skin getting really scratched up and white. Had Rafa strip the skin and foil, repaint the body on the inside, and then once the outer shell was back on he airbrushed a bit on there too to blend the paint job. Looks brand new and I have yet to have any issues with it whatsoever since. Paint looks great and you can't even tell the skin was ever scuffed and white. Not sure how much yours is white and faded out but I don't see how this wouldn't work. Hope this helps!

Casey

ereyeckeyem, Squeeze the water out of the tail when your done fishing and shake your bait to remove the water inside your bait trapped between the skin and body. To dry it out if it gets cloudy just use a "Blow Dryer" over the bait till it becomes clear again or hang it in a warm place.....

I used to own a plastics company where we did lots of polymer analysis. I am guessing that the Deps skin is a polyurethane material. If that is true, the skin will absorb a bit of water and will turn cloudy when this happens. It does not weaken or degrade the skin- it just gets that milky opaque look. Just dry it out in the sun or with a hair blower on low setting, and you're good to go. Try not to store it in a closed box with wet baits.

How did you end up taking the rear section off...mines, the foil skin seems to be dulling out from having water still in there.. I was thinking of taking the rear section off and clean the foil to make it bring again

^^^that would be awesome. Switch out front and back halves and make all kinds of crazy patterns.

But for now. Repaint! I mentioned in a post a while back I had a deps repainted by Rafa Custom Baits. This was mostly because I wanted a color switch but it was also due to the fact that my deps inner foil was getting all scuffed up and peeled, as well as the skin getting really scratched up and white. Had Rafa strip the skin and foil, repaint the body on the inside, and then once the outer shell was back on he airbrushed a bit on there too to blend the paint job. Looks brand new and I have yet to have any issues with it whatsoever since. Paint looks great and you can't even tell the skin was ever scuffed and white. Not sure how much yours is white and faded out but I don't see how this wouldn't work. Hope this helps!

Casey

Once the skin is off its tough to get the foil back to looking normal. I didn't do it so I'm not sure how tricky of a process it is but Rafa said he used warm running water to loosen the skin and a butter knife to separate it from the body

Two things I've noticed. The adhesive on the back of the foil starts to break down and can fog up the skin. Also, sediment in the water gets trapped between the skin and the bait when the water dries and fogs it up too.

I've taken them apart and scrubbed the ish out of the inside of the skin with dish soap. They do clean up. But you'll also notice (probably) that the foil itself isn't as flashy as it once was. If you're careful with a little solvent and a rag you can rub off the glue thats leaked out from behind the foil, and left residue on the surface of the foil.

Also, it's a hell of a lot easier to the the skin off and back on if you do it underwater. At least it is for me.

I used to own a plastics company where we did lots of polymer analysis. I am guessing that the Deps skin is a polyurethane material. If that is true, the skin will absorb a bit of water and will turn cloudy when this happens. It does not weaken or degrade the skin- it just gets that milky opaque look. Just dry it out in the sun or with a hair blower on low setting, and you're good to go. Try not to store it in a closed box with wet baits.

I do believe it is a polyurethane material. Definitely feels like it. And thanks for the tips swimbait24/7 and that's prob what I did.. Left it closed in my box with it and other baits being wet. :/

Casey

Thanks for the suggestion but I definitely don't want to paint the skins.. I already sharpied a flash trout I had and sayonara. It's a tattooed for life.

In the process of repairing the skin on the 250. If it all work out, it may be in production with any color or pattern you want.

Reason why it's like this is because I left it moist and didn't like the fading tail section so I scrapped everything and going to replace it with a more natural trout patter with the flash foil still in tact

post-3928-14252992656499_thumb.jpg

i know the rear skin is glued in near the joint, but there's an air pocket by the tail that takes on water during normal use.

would really be interested in hearing details on successfully removing and reattaching the the rear skin, as my DIY flash carp is nearly finished :twisted: