Daiwa Zillion TW HD 1520

troutbreath

So, I recently picked up this reel used here on SU. It looks new, but doesn't seem to function properly. I have a lot of daiwa reels (mainly tatulas and lexas) and they spin very freely. They also feel nice and tight. This zillion doesn't spin well at all and the spool has a little play side to side. Seems sloppy. I've been wanting one for awhile, so hopefully I can figure this out. Any idea how to make it right? 

As far as the side to side play in the spool, adjust the mechanical brake knob until the play is barely there. I would talk to the person who sold it to you first and then if you’re comfortable opening up the reel and servicing it, I would start there. At the very least add a small drop of oil to the spool bearings and see if that helps. 

When I adjust the side to side play out of the spool, via the mechanical brake, it affects the performance even more. On my other daiwa reels, I have the mechanical brake adjusted out as far open as possible without allowing the cap to fall off. I'm used to whipping the handle and having the spool spin freely. Even with the brake adjusted way out, this zillion feels super tight. 

2 hours ago, troutbreath said:

On my other daiwa reels, I have the mechanical brake adjusted out as far open as possible without allowing the cap to fall off. 

Pretty sure you're talking about the tension setting knob and not the mechanical brake. The mechanical brake adjustment is made on the dial opposite of your reel handle. 

The SV spool in that Zillion, once you get it set right to the weight of lure you're throwing, is top shelf. 

32 minutes ago, LowSpinner said:

Pretty sure you're talking about the tension setting knob and not the mechanical brake. The mechanical brake adjustment is made on the dial opposite of your reel handle. 

The SV spool in that Zillion, once you get it set right to the weight of lure you're throwing, is top shelf. 

Tension knob, cast control cap, mechanical brake knob - they're all the same.

3 hours ago, LowSpinner said:

I always called this part a tension adjustment dial as well, but I looked it up on the diagram and it is indeed called the mechanical brake adjustment. The dial on the opposite side is the magnetic brake adjustment, I think. Do the TW HD reels have sv spools? The spool on this reel is marked G1 Magforce. Nothing on the box refers to an sv spool either. 

Just now, maine y yak said:

Sv spool came later than that reel. The reel is an absolute battleship when it's correct tho

That's what I've heard! I'm really hoping to get this issue resolved quickly. When I spin one of my tatula elites, it goes for days. Same with my other tatulas. You'd think the premium reel would be at least as smooth. This one just seems too tight. Everything else is great, tho. 

6 hours ago, troutbreath said:

I always called this part a tension adjustment dial as well, but I looked it up on the diagram and it is indeed called the mechanical brake adjustment. The dial on the opposite side is the magnetic brake adjustment, I think. Do the TW HD reels have sv spools? The spool on this reel is marked G1 Magforce. Nothing on the box refers to an sv spool either. 

No you're right and what @maine y yak said, it is a G1 Spool, not a SV in that Zillion. Only 1/2 cup of coffee in me this morning when I responded. 

I have an OG Tatula Type R with ceramic bearing in it what will spin forever.

I have 4 different Zillion models, from different release years, they all feel the way you're describing, they will not freely spin forever.

Pretty sure it has to do with the spool technology on each of them.

Edited by LowSpinner