Noob help

bnkrupt

I have went over all the stickies threads for newbies, and I'm still undecided on which rod I should go with. This is my first year trying the swimbait approach. I currently have the Shimano Calcutta 400B, and I'm looking at getting the Okuma Big Bait rod. Now I want to get the 7' 11" but that's as far as I get. I don't know which one I should go with the MH, H, or the XH. As of right now I plan on just throwing Mattlures bluegills, some Hudd 68 special, and maybe some various other lures. What would you recommend that I purchase?

Thanks in advance, Mike.

I have went over all the stickies threads for newbies, and I'm still undecided on which rod I should go with. This is my first year trying the swimbait approach. I currently have the Shimano Calcutta 400B, and I'm looking at getting the Okuma Big Bait rod. Now I want to get the 7' 11" but that's as far as I get. I don't know which one I should go with the MH, H, or the XH. As of right now I plan on just throwing Mattlures bluegills, some Hudd 68 special, and maybe some various other lures. What would you recommend that I purchase?

Thanks in advance, Mike.

Hey Mike,

I'm a noob to swimbaiting as well my biggest fish to this point is about 7lbs. But as far the gear I've spent way to much money and I know where your coming from when I first started. Before I took a dive into spending all of my lunch money on small and big swimbaits I wanted to make sure I had the right rod to complement the baits. I didn't have to many baits to start with but I had a feeling I would get more. If I had to choose 1 rod in terms of being versatile enough to fish bigger to smaller baits I'd stick with a heavy or XH rod. A 8 inch huddleston might be a little to heavy to fish on a MH rod in terms of casting, hookset and comfort. Trust me you will eventually find the need to have a 8inch hudd in your arsenal if you are now fishing with a 68 hudd. Also you can easily fish a 68 hudd or bluegill bait on a heavy rod by just downsizing to a smaller sized reel such as a curado 200 or curado 300. Hopes that helps a little with your decision.

Best regards

- Ed

The heavy is what you want....

Disclaimer: I have had 3 okumas and all of them shattered on a hookset...

But I did get months out of them before that.the heavy will work well for all swimbait in the 3-7.5" range

About 3.5oz is maxing it out once you decide to move up into the bigger stuff the xh will work...