Daiwa Pluton or Conquest 300?

BASS

For me the use of the Pluton is very specific and the Conquest 300 has a wider range. Spool size is one of the main differences for me.

What type of line/pound test are you planning to fish as well as baits?

Ben's right. This is not a good utility reel for the full spectrum of light to heavy baits.

The Pluton is specifically a braid reel or a reel for mono sized 20# or less it can't handle line capacity beyond this. It is also a 300 size reel despite the 200 model number.

I use mine with 65# Performance and toss alot of baits in the 8 oz. and less range. Anything heavier you'll probably want to go to a larger frame reel like a 300-400 model Calcutta for braid in 80#, or mono in the 25-30# range because the Pluton won't handle the line capacity for the line size you'd want with the heavier baits. I use my 400TE for mono 25-30# and my 10-13 oz. baits. I also have my 300 Black Sheep sized in the 80# braid and it rocks for the big baits too so you might also want to consider a Daiwa Luna in the 300 if the 300 frame size is more to your liking. I don't know much about the Conquests so I can't speak to it.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Despite being a Daiwa man, I have to say, there is nothing in Daiwa's lineup that matches the TE/Conquest line from Shimano. The Pluton is more of a 250 size reel but lacks the versatility of the Conquest. I actually traded my Conquest 301 for a Plton 200HL (6.3:1) and I've been kicking myself for it ever since. Gear ratio is way off for what I want to do with it

-Ali

Im basically using it for hudds and maybe some 5-6oz topwater hard baits.

IMO The Pluton should be a great choice. For the difference in costs of the two reels (Conquest 300 $539 vs. Pluton 200H $419), I can't see how you could go wrong buying the Pluton.

I mainly run straight fluro on my Pluton and like it for that application. It also handles braid with no issues. I'm still on the fence when I try fishing 20lb mono on it. Make a bad cast or just stripping line off thru the day I end up to close to the spool on a full cast. So the mono ended up on the Shimano 300.