Getting into Swimbaiting

fishintx

hey guys I've looked at several of the older posts in the noob section but didn't notice a few of the questions I have being answered so if I missed one of the posts just point me in the right direction thanks

alright so i'm looking at getting a decent setup and was looking at 2 different rods at this point the okuma swimbait rod and the TFO swimbait rod, seems like several of you have referred the okuma but I haven't seen anything relating to the TFO rods any opinions on the TFO and which is a better buy?

I'm trying to avoid having to buy a reel to match with my rod, so i'm contemplating between a shimano corsair 300cs, abu Garcia 5500 c3 or the abu Garcia 6600 c4 as I already have these reels, will these get the job done effectively or should I go ahead and spend the 100-150 on a better reel?

i'm looking at getting a decent supply of baits and have been looking at getting a few huds, a few rago's, atleast 1 bullshad, and would like to get a lunker punker as well, are the savage baits any good? they seem to be at a better price and more available locally for me...any other opinions? is it better to buy used baits starting out to avoid the high costs?

Will 20lb suffix siege line be sufficient for throwing these baits in timber and riprap or should I go a different route? maybe the suffix braid with a fluro leader?

also last thing i'm not really looking at getting many of the 2-3lbers to bite i'm looking more for that kicker fish in a tourney so the bigger baits are more of what interests me at this point in time

i'll be fishing lake fork, sam rayburn, Toledo bend, texoma, cedar creek, ray Roberts, and many other texas lakes with varying clarities from chocolate milk to moderately clear as well

thanks for all the help I greatly appreciate it

i would definitely look into a s-waver 200 and some sort of wake bait. you said you want that kicker fish! a big slow wake bait has always done the job for me! i have a buddy who uses the abu 6600 and says it works great for big baits as long as its a slow gear ratio you should be good! the savage gear line thru's are awesome you can see plenty of hogs on SU caught on that bait! never had any experience with other savage gears. i would go with 25lb p-line CXX for line personally but you gotta go with what you prefer. one last thing pick up an 8inch wood punker!!

Welcome to the forum.

The Okuma is a proven entry level stick. About every swimbaiter has had one at one point in time. For a reel, that is personal preference. I like the Curado 300. You can usually find deals on the black market for around $160.

Regardless what baits you use you are still going to pick up your share of 2-3 lbers. If bass can get their mouth around it they will eat the bait. I suggest the following for starters:

1. 8" Hudd

2. 9" slammer or 8" punker (wood)

3. 8" triple trout or S-waver

These baits will allow you to fish the entire water column effectively and are relatively cheap.

As for line. It is a personal preference. I have tried several over the years and I always seem to come back to 20 lb Big Game. A lot of guys use it because it is cheap and as strong as goat rope. You can re-spool often without breaking the bank.

I don't recommend braid. For one backlashes go deep and casting off a bait watching it sail off into the sunset is a helpless feeling. I only use braid with topwater. as for braid with a leader, it is just one more knot that can fail.

My 2 cents.

I've got 3 okumas and have no complaints about any of them. I've been throwing big baits on my 6500C3 for 6 yrs and never had a single problem.....they are tanks and can handle the big baits well. The 5500 and C4 should be fine

As for baits, slammers, hudds, triple trout, punker, glide bait like an swaver. Those should be plenty to get you started and wont break the bank too bad.

TFO swimbait rod, seems like several of you have referred the okuma but I haven't seen anything relating to the TFO rods any opinions on the TFO and which is a better buy?

These are great rods and are local out of Dallas. Excellant Customer service I can't stress that enough... Any problem take it to them and it will be replaced. I had a minor issue in the cork ( rough spot where I grip it ) and they replaced the whole Rod. Also gave me a choice of new hat as well. A1 folks there. Swimbait Rod Is solid for the $, The old style swimbait is a split grip....New style is full cork which I love for anything 4oz and down soft tip and plenty of backbone.

I have a friend that fishes tourneys all the time. he swears by the S-Wave. its a good entry level bait and cheap. you can get carried away easily with baits just try to keep it to the basics. A soft bait, glide bait, wake bait, and a slow sink swimmer. My personal preference is a 8 inch hudd, maybe you can scale it down to get more bites with a 6inch or 68 version. for glide bait deps 250 but they are hard to come by and are expensive so that's why I suggest the S-Wave. wake bait I love the black dog shell cracker G2 they are cheap and work, most will say ms slammer but I haven't had good luck with them every bait ive had swam like crap. and for a slowsink swimmer 8" triple trout. as for line I like izorline xxx in the new green color. I would suggest to stay away from braid as you tend to break off baits easily on the cast if you get a small back lash. as for reels if you are going to use 20 lb any 200 sized reel I personally like shimano citica its cheap and works good. anything over 20lb I use lexa 300 or the okuma komodo 364 under $200 and holds a lot of line. hope that help. THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION AND IS NO WAY THE END TO ALL BE ALL OF THE SWIMBAIT REALM. :D

TFO swimbait rod, seems like several of you have referred the okuma but I haven't seen anything relating to the TFO rods any opinions on the TFO and which is a better buy?

These are great rods and are local out of Dallas. Excellant Customer service I can't stress that enough... Any problem take it to them and it will be replaced. I had a minor issue in the cork ( rough spot where I grip it ) and they replaced the whole Rod. Also gave me a choice of new hat as well. A1 folks there. Swimbait Rod Is solid for the $, The old style swimbait is a split grip....New style is full cork which I love for anything 4oz and down soft tip and plenty of backbone.

+1 from the new guy ~ I wish they would make one heavier too that would actually handle a 6-7 ounce bait

Thanks for all the help guys after reading everyone's replies and checking out several rods I've narrowed my rod choice down to the TFO swimbait rod and a custom angle XH rod

The reel is what I'm having a tough time deciding on I would prefer a low profile reel but would also like more line capacity than what I've been finding at the local tackle shop

Ok I'm new as well and have had the same questions, one good solution for me was to call tackle shops out in California and see what they have to say, tacklewharehouse has amazing customer service and can help you with the rod, I personally got a couple just bc of the range of weights you will be tossing everything from 1.5-13oz+ one rod can't do it all. As for the reel the lexa 300 or 400 seems to be popular but again I haven't used them and will use something different this year as I am getting into bigger baits. Use the demo program instead of buying to see if you like a reel is my opinion tw has a demo program and you can at least toss it for a few days to see how it goes instead of buying something and then hating it. Go with the more senior members for baits I will be no use to u in that case bc I'm still figuring it out too lol. Be careful it can be addictive as you will see. Good luck