Ice lines and bass correlation

Baigh95

okay so i looked pretty hard for a topic like this that might have already been covered but came up with nothing. I've been limited to water thats everywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 open. the rest is covered with fairly thin ice. I've been able to catch a few dinks but it seems like they aren't going past the ice line even though warmer water is right in front of them. i haven't got bit on anything bigger than a hudd shad in places where I've had no issues getting bit on bigger baits. I'm assuming because i can't cast to the big girls that are staging or getting ready to.

my question is have any of you guys been able to form a pattern based on ice?? 

Basing a pattern on ice is hard. Just because part of a lake is open doesn't necessarily mean its the warmest. Most bass school around a food source this time of year. Shad are the primary food source for most areas, and are not very temperature tolerant. They seek stable conditions to survive winter. Bass follow the food source. Find the food, find the fish. If your area is still really cold, try fishing later in the day after the sun warms up a bank. Focus on the sunny bank towards late evening. Good luck.

Checkout the deepest water. Wherever bluegills were being caught in the winter is where the bass were positioned as well. They may have moved up but I would think with the water still cold enough to hold ice they haven't moved up yet. I know Zona has a video on michianaoutdoors about catching ice out and ice fishing for bass.

Good luck

Derds

Edited by derds126