Swimbaits in beds

Maxdispoto

~ i was teasing a bed with my deps 175 trout.... i would time out the swing just right to letthe bait slow sink above their bed and that REALLY pisses them off and they will bite ! just be patient because it took me about 440,001 casts to make it happen ;)

My first swimbait fish ever, just earlier this year, was a bed fish. We spotted what we assumed was a male circling, looking for love just inside a corner of a pad line and had spent 15 minutes throwing craws, lizards, jigs, ect. with no luck. I threw a Shellcracker g2 a few times and he showed some interest but the water was too deep to get it on bottom and of course stopping it did no good since it floated up and away. I tied on a 3:16 SS FS Gill and threw it out past the bed and worked it back and down til I set it gently on the bottom right in the middle of his little spot. He went nose down on it and started flaring his gills from 4-5ft away and I thought we might be in business. As I was watching him I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye. It was a 5lb female coming hell bent for leather from back in the pads. She came in hot and never checked up. Absolutely smashed my gill. My buddy said when I set the hook the only part of the bait that wasn't in her mouth was the very tip of the nose from the eye to the line tie. It was completely unreal and just about ruined me on regular fishing. Only bed fish I caught this year. Rain, wind, and clouds jacked up our sight fishing this year so I never got to try it again. The 3:16 SS will definitely be the first thing I throw at a bed fish next year tho.