Slammer/Pats style swimbaits

chefchris

so havent been able to turn plugs since 2013 due to moving, getting maried last year , family health issues (cancer), running two resturants amd lack of time etc. 

well finally got my shop semi put back together and was able to turn a few bodies. 

these are based off an original wood atom 40, about 8" long. 

going to cut em single v joint, around 4", pinned swivel hook hangers, lexan lip and custom rubber tails. 

basically making my version of an MS Slammer, Pats perch, etc. 

going to make 3 deep cranks and 3 wakers. 

designed for catching Largemouth bass, but going to make strong enough to handle stripers here in New England. 

Plan on making a bunch more and a few different joint designs, 2, 3 and 4 piece baits over the fall winter. 

Ill keep updating this thread as I progress with them, waiting on a bunch of hardware, eyes, lips etc to show up.

the freshwater swimbait guys easily pay $50-125 for a bait like this.  

first pic is my turning with a custom painted ms slammer as reference. 2nd pic is the 6 bodies, marked up for eyes, joint cut and hook placement 

post-21791-0-02852000-1437849473_thumb.jpgpost-21791-0-69305900-1437849486_thumb.jpg

Nice looking Slammer type Chris. I've been dabbling with some of my own. What type of wood you using ? I went with white maple, but, think I'll switch over to cedar.

these are AYC, alaskan yellow cedar. 

I use maple for sinking baits as its denser and takes less lead to sink 

was finally able to spend some time in the shop and make some progress. 

only working on two out of the 6 now. 

waker will have zero weights added. 

deep crank has two belly weights in the front section and one belly weight in the tail section, hoping that it will suspend on the pause once its cranked down. 

post-21791-0-97600200-1438484116_thumb.jpg

Used 12mm clear eyes, which gives you different effects once you paint the bait or you can paint the eyes whatever color you want from behind before installing them. 

post-21791-0-45409000-1438484183_thumb.jpg

for tail, wasnt sure if i wanted to notch it like a pats/slammer so instead I epoxied in a spring for different tails, at least on the these protos. 

Medium TT tail fits great, also pictured is a savage gear tail that I cut down, going to use the savage tail on the waker and TT on the deep crank. the ronz tails looks great too. 

post-21791-0-35231000-1438484309_thumb.jpg

installed and epoxied in the lips, cut and sanded the joint and installed the screw eyes, installed the line tie screw eyes in the nose and added the screw eyes for the hooks for now, may go with pinned swivels for the production version but ive caught 30lb plus stripers on screw eye baits so cant see the need. Dipped in sealer and curing now. 

Should be able to test em later this week, stay tuned 

• 1 month later...

finally finished em, epoxy coated iwth some gold flake mixed in, owner st 41 hooks. 

waker has a bill hurley tail, deep crank has a triple trout tail, which i like better. 

plugs make a nice knocking sound

my buddies will be testing them out this weekend in some nice freshwater lakes in Mass and RI 

need to make some tweaks on the next ones, like swivel hangers for the hooks and probably bigger screw eyes for the joint.