Carp Hugger Spot

elhoward622

I kayaked a section of the Coosa River looking to try my new carp hugger shad and some other new arrivals. The hard bait bite never really materialized as I only boated one smaller spot on the 6" bull shad, so I switched over to the carp hugger and withing 10 minutes had 5 pound class spotted bass come off at the boat.  I ended up losing 3 or 4 smaller fish that never really got a good shot on the bait and stuck another nice spot similar to the first on that I lost. I was fishing a swift section of shoals that was no more than 2-3 feet deep on moost places. The big fish came out from behind a boulder I buzzed the bait past and chased it down from behind, swallowing it tail first. Unfortunately, the fish ended up ripping a hole in the tail section due to the way it ate it and waded the rear of the bait up on the hook. It still swam fine despite it and the maker is sending me some silicone to fix it. 

12311243_10103371466560851_3085933027602

11990625_10103371465652671_6619283012545

12301769_10103371465912151_8348377252898

A few thoughts on the carp hugger:

-it is a very tall bait, so smaller mouthed species may have trouble getting a good shot on it

-swims really, really well in swift current

-very durable despite freak tear

-nice profile and paint scheme

Nice spots! How are you liking that Fury btw?

I have been ultra impressed with it so far. I have used it for whopper plopper 130s, a-rigs, glide baits and jointed baits up to 3oz, and even an ROF 5 8" Hudd. It feels lighter in the hand than the Champion counterpart, although I still like the short handle on the Champ SBMT 795.