Hudds where there's no trout

Ethanm

What does a black Hudd/swimbait imitate...? Lol

I have done really well on black or dark green-pumpkin baits for as long as I can remember, especially at Clear Lake after the temp's ignite the algae bloom, or on the Delta when most of the water is dirty from storms. The dark baits stand out better, let you fish faster and pick up reaction bites still when the fish are tight to cover. And I love all white for clear and breezy conditions.

I try to employ that with all my techniques, and only stick to a few basic schemes; dark, neautral, or bright.

I definitely agree with the other members on it being more the bait than the color,, I'd bet you could take a Hudd or other similar baits, get a couple colors, dark & light, and couple sizes, go to any body of water with predatory fish and be successful. I think a rainbow 68 will get you off to a great start Ethan, good luck!

Trout hudds are basically green backed with a white belly/sides. That could imitate a multitude of forages. Bass, trout, pike, shiners, shad, suckers, anything really. I've caught and broken my pb on trout colored hudds in waters without trout multiple times. I think color is not as important as profile and presentation. Seth Burrill is a trophy angler from the northwest and I watch a lot of his videos and seminars and his theory on color was an eye opener to me. Yes matching the hatch is important but the profile that your color puts off; whether it's a translucent, opaque, or metallic  is the most important thing and color choice comes down to conditions. Hope this helps.