Best 100$ I ever spent

Hbnel5on

After breaking 2 rods in the tow a hoe (Tahoe) I was tired of replacing them. Also whenever a long rod is in the cab it makes for some awkward riding. So I took my time and invested in a way to carry my rods on my roof rack. best thing I've ever done! I can tell you how to make it if you will pm me

post-25830-0-45442900-1470839853_thumb.jpeg

I added two poles inside my Yukon to hold my rods. It works great. I attached them to those hook things that are above the doors( I think they're for hanging shirts).

Been wanting to figure out an option like this for a Mazda 3, but with it being a hatchback - it makes it somewhat tough with opening and closing the back. Thinking about doing this lower across the front and back seats + back seat. Bar across front and back seat than I could sit the rods on top of that!

I use a 9' 4" pvc pipe with the ends capped.  15 bucks

This is 6inch pvc with line-x truck bed coating, locking caps and foam in the end. I wanted the locking caps over the standard pvc cap because I travel a lot fishing tournaments and I don't want to worry about my rods in my rod pod because I just have a regular pvc screw lock cap that everyone can get into. Imo 100$ is a cheap price to protect the 5 rod and reels that I can fit in there. How many full. Combos will the 4 inch hold?

Been wanting to figure out an option like this for a Mazda 3, but with it being a hatchback - it makes it somewhat tough with opening and closing the back. Thinking about doing this lower across the front and back seats + back seat. Bar across front and back seat than I could sit the rods on top of that!

I have been very creative with my vehicles.  If your ceiling is high enough and you arent too tall - you can run 2 car clothes rack bars (1 in the front and 1 in the back).  I did this for a while and it works like a charm in a van/suv.

In my compact, I take advantage of the fact no one usually rides with me.  I have hatch type trunk, so I know exactly what you are talking about.  What I do is use the head rest of both the front and back seat - and I raise them up.  I only carry 1 - 2 rods and slip them through the openning.  I push the back seat one back down to hold the rods in place.  They dont move too much and they pretty much stay put during my commute.

FYI I do this with a 7'3, 8'0 and 8'6 rods without issue and I have a Scion xB (1st gen).

Hope this helps.

In my compact, I take advantage of the fact no one usually rides with me.  I have hatch type trunk, so I know exactly what you are talking about.  What I do is use the head rest of both the front and back seat - and I raise them up.  I only carry 1 - 2 rods and slip them through the openning.  I push the back seat one back down to hold the rods in place.  They dont move too much and they pretty much stay put during my commute.

I currently do this exactly!

I used this same set$up many years ago. I since have moved to the rod saver and store the rods inside my Tahoe. It  is much cheaper than $100 and you don't have to monkey mounting a reel and restringing your rods. 

http://www.basspro.com/Rod-Saver-Vehicle-Rod-Carrier/product/15989/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions

Edited by reelfish