Fishfinders?

Sarge

Anyone with experience/recommendations with fishfinder comparisons between Lowrance, Hummingbird, and Garmin? About to get a boat and looking at the different units in the 500-800 dollar range with side imaging. Lowrance Elite 7 Ti, Hummingbird Helix 7 HD, or the comparable Garmin.

Many Thanks.

Humminbird is definitely the more user friendly of the bunch, good graphs. The mapping is out of this world if you buy the lakemaster chips, navionics doesn't even compare. I have had Lowrance HDS 8s on my boat and liked those too, the down imaging was crisper. I now run a helix 12 and helix 10 on my boat and love them. My best advice to you is to try and get some time behind whatever units you are thinking about buying, call around to friends and see if you can't go out with them and they can show you what they like about there units.

Thanks for the response. I have asked around and was told by one he thought the Hummingbirds had a clearer screen and were the best for the money and he runs Lowrance, sponsor deal.  Another said the touchscreen lowrance was the more user friendly.  I'm sure this a personal preference thing, but I had to ask, could get expensive swapping units. Thanks again.

In my experience lowrance is much easier to use than hummingbird. I had an older hummingbird with the side and down scan when it first came out so I may be behind on their system now. My hds units are super simple to work and the mapping in them with either insight or navionics is pretty good. I use both of them side by side ( two separate units at the console ) and depending on where I'm at, one map is better than the other. My hds units were set up by Precision Sonar in KY and those guys are amazing at getting them dialed in. They also set up hummingbird units too, so that may be something to look into if you're not too far away.post-21999-0-60606500-1471450100_thumb.jpg

Edited by charlie.m.jr