Calico on swimbaits

SwimbaitsatLMV

I was wondering what type of swimmers you guys throw for "the other green fish."

normally I throw a lot of Rapala husky jerks(I know, not a SB) spro 4 & 6 ", and I picked up a Koppers live target herring FS. It seems like the fish like a thinner profile, but I am not sure. I do know that this past summer my friend and had a 60+ fish combined day on the rapala, but we could not get them to eat the spros. I take that back, Mackerel and Cuda WRECKED the 2.5 :lol:

Any suggestions for >2.5 lbrs. ?

If your fishing deeper, throw a Warbait jighead with a 5" PEARL, they're tough as ish. If your fishing in the kelp, throw a slug, the MC's and PEARL's both get bit. Throwing a slug is as exciting as throwing big baits in freshwater.

My bad, meant the 110, like these:

http://www.anglerscenter.com/lures_luck ... -lures.htm

Just chuck it and grind and pause. Clear water killer. And you could throw the 130 size if you want. Calicos aren't afraid. Look at my report from a few weeks ago (the title is Salty) the fish that I'm holding ate a 10" PEARL Dragon Tongue (their version of the slug) and completely inhaled it, so problem.

Learning to pick jigs that swim and figuring out what particular jig they're interested in makes a world of difference. I guess that's another thread though.

I've always thought that you could crush calicos on the Punker under certain conditions, but I've never given it a shot. Tossed it to no avail on a kelp offshore last year when fishing was horrendous and I'd tried everything else. I've seen the MC slugs catch fish and I caught a single 2 pound largemouth on one myself, go figure. I know Mickey has pictures of some toads on pretty trick looking hard baits.

Learning to pick jigs that swim and figuring out what particular jig they're interested in makes a world of difference. I guess that's another thread though.

I've always thought that you could crush calicos on the Punker under certain conditions, but I've never given it a shot. Tossed it to no avail on a kelp offshore last year when fishing was horrendous and I'd tried everything else. I've seen the MC slugs catch fish and I caught a single 2 pound largemouth on one myself, go figure. I know Mickey has pictures of some toads on pretty trick looking hard baits.

If your lucky enough to find the old Candy Bars and Starman jigs your set on the swimming part. I got a buddy that throws the R2S Rover 230 for em sometimes. Problem with throwing a walk the dog bait for calicos is you need ideal conditions, gotta have the current keeping the kelp down about 1' under.

• 2 weeks later...

1oz+ spinnerbaits.

Pointer 130 in American Shad and Aurora Blue (change out the hooks to two heavy trebles and upgrade the split rings)

Shimano Waxwing

Surface Iron

Weedless Jigheads (WAR) with paddletail swimbaits (Pearl)

Big Grubs

Big Creature Baits

There is no need to waste your money on expensive freshwater soft plastic swimbaits. They don't last very long and don't catch more/larger fish.