triple trout bluegill

LunkerPunkTW

The 22nd Century Blue Gill has been a very productive bait for me. I picked one up from Darth last year with the intent on giving it to my wife to fish as like most bluegill baits, you don't need a true swimbait rod to fish it. We have fished it on a Steez 7'1" H, a Kistler Mag Small swimbait special, and a Powell 704 and all of them handle it just fine. I have fished it on both 15lb mono and straight braid and I prefer mono. The front hook is very close to the line tie and I often foul hooked when using braid. I'm sure this could have been over come by using a mono leader but I just stuck with mono.

When it comes to the baits looks, it is ugly as sin. Looks like something a kid would have made. However that doesn't seem to matter to the fish. It is that perfect sunfish size to where if you are just looking to get bites, you'll get them. But at the same time this bait has some drawing power and more respectable fish will hit it.

In terms of the action, just think of a Triple Trout. Wide, exaggerated swimming with a searching type if head movement. It doesn't snake through the water seductively, it pounds it's way through like a fish that has something seriously wrong with it. It reacts well to pretty much all retrieves. If you are reeling fast enough to keen it off the bottom I assure you it will be swimming. I'll burn it as fast as I can and it will stay just under the top while pushing a good sized wake and tracking very true. When stopped and given slack it will slash to the side and you can get it to 180 but be careful when doing so because it will sometimes foul hook even with mono. It is a little unpredictable on the fall. Sometimes it will fold over, sometimes it will sink horizontally, and sometimes it will swim a bit on the way down.

Now as far as what retrieves trigger bites with this bait, it is like any other swimbait in that you have to let the fish tell you what they want. I've caught

fish burning it, ripping it, and slow rolling with the slow roll being most productive. The one common theme though is that the bites almost always occurred at a pause or a twitch.

All this being said I am not saying that this is better than the other bluegills out there. Like all 22nd Century baits, it comes with VMC's that will work ok, but they have a tendency to straighten so you'll want to replace them. Also, this is only available in a slow sink version so no deadsticking next to a dock or laydown with this one. But all and all it is a good bait and they aren't very hard to get ahold of.

I wrote this on my iPhone last night while I laid in bed at 1:00 am not being able to sleep so it is not as complete as it could be. One thing I failed to mention was the finish. The paint jobs, like the bait's profile, just represents a sunfish. There are a couple of different patterns that I have seen offered and they are just sunfish style hues on a flat smooth surface. You don't have the realistic details that you would get with a Mattlures or 3:16 hardgill. I will leave it up to you guys and gals to decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I'm just here to report my observations ;)

Great info right there Infidel!

I'm tempted to buy one, but thinking I should just learn what I got first.

Glad you enjoyed it. So much of swimbaiting is gaining confidence in what you are throwing that I would stick with what you have for now and slowly build your collection.

• 1 month later...