SUB Tournament February 24th - March 2nd

I think for the future. A spotted bass caught in California should not be able to be beat by a largemouth that is two lbs lighter than it in let's say Massachusetts. There should be no handicap for the guy who caught the largemouth. I think spotted bass and smallmouth you should have to go straight up against. No, I don't think you should be able to add any weight just because it's a smallmouth or a spot but other states should still have to be it it straight up. Just my thoughts.

I think for the future. A spotted bass caught in California should not be able to be beat by a largemouth that is two lbs lighter than it in let's say Massachusetts. There should be no handicap for the guy who caught the largemouth. I think spotted bass and smallmouth you should have to go straight up against. No, I don't think you should be able to add any weight just because it's a smallmouth or a spot but other states should still have to be it it straight up. Just my thoughts.

I understand your point but every bass tourney accepts all 3 species without discrimination..I already think the state handicap is weak but I understand it..I had a 5# fish beat by a 5# fish with a 2# handicap last year..but last month a 4 something wins..only entry

We all know by now SU rules are set in stone

Have we ever had a spotted bass or smallmouth contender? Not that I know of. Maybe now we might see new rules added in the future.I'm not saying add weight to the spotted bass.... I'm saying don't let a 6 lb largemouth from North Dakota beat an 8 lbs spot from California.

Btw as far as largemouth go I think the handicap is good. It definitely wouldn't be fair for a guy in Montana to go up against California. It's just not realistic.

I understand your point but every bass tourney accepts all 3 species without discrimination..I already think the state handicap is weak but I understand it..I had a 5# fish beat by a 5# fish with a 2# handicap last year..but last month a 4 something wins..only entry

We all know by now SU rules are set in stone

Rule #8 in the SUB rules says...

"These rules can change depending on future situations but NOT during the tournament."

So the rules can be changed, it just has to be supported by the admins and it should have some good reasoning behind it. This change would be an easy change to make. It would be simply this...

If you catch a spotted bass or a smallmouth on a swimbait for the tourney you cannot lose to a fish that weighs less than your fish. The fish has to weigh more on a scale without a handicap correction than the spotted bass or smallmouth entered.

This obviously needs to be supported by the members here and the site admins ultimately. If it's not supported then it should not be implemented. Also, this rule has to be implemented after this tourney and not during. That would violate rule #8.

Just thought that this was something that hadn't really been thought of yet since no one had ever entered a big spot or smallmouth in a tourney and it seems like something that could make sense as a rule modification.

If you catch a spotted bass or a smallmouth on a swimbait for the tourney you cannot lose to a fish that weighs less than your fish. The fish has to weigh more on a scale without a handicap correction than the spotted bass or smallmouth entered.

I think Jace put this perfectly! A big smallie or spot, like 6+ for smallie (I am pretty sure thats a huge one) or 7/8+ spot shouldn't be beat by a 5-6lb largie or other fish  in another state unless it truly weighs more.

I agree with the discussion so far.  What about a smallie from Nebraska?  I assume it would still get the state handicap.  What happens if that makes it bigger than the spot without the handicap from California?  Just trying to consider things that could happen.

Gorgeous fish btw!  Spotted bass are my favorite species.

Edited by Bassin8r

Scott, that's a good question but like was stated before a smallmouth or spotted bass could not get beat by a smaller fish. No matter the species. I think if we do it that way it will be simple and still fair. Really, if we think about it a smallmouth or a spotted bass are rarely going to be contenders.

I definitely agree that a 5lb largemouth in Nebraska should NOT beat a 7 lb spot from a state with no handicap.  What I am trying to figure out is should a 5 lb smallmouth from Nebraska with a handicap beat the same 7 lb spot.  We had a monthly contest last year where a 5.5 lb largmouth from Nebraska won.  A 5 to 6 lb smallmouth is not out of the question around here.

Currently the 12 winners of the monthly tournament go into the Battle.  How about adding a 13th person in the Battle for the one who catches the biggest spot or smallie during the SUB tournament season?  Must be caught during one of the tournament weeks, correct code on the scale, etc. just like any other SUB entry.  That way you don't mess with the current rules other than adding one more person to the Battle.

Ya, I wasn't very clear with how I said that before Scott. What I'm saying is a smallmouth or spotted bass would be all on equal playing field for every state against each other. A smaller largemouth could not beat it. Neither could a 6 lb smallmouth from Nebraska beat an 8 lb spot from California. That's just my thoughts. It would all have to be up to the admins though. Look what I started. Haha sorry

I think it is a good discussion.  I feel like the state handicaps have been a good addition to the competition.  I am sure the admins will consider everything talked about and make any changes needed.  Congrats on an awesome swimbait fish!