Setup Help

blckshirt98

Looking for some help/advice on setups to be able to use as many baits as possible (I'm a hoarder so I have a little bit of everything from small to large, swimbait to glidebait to topwater).

13 Fishing Muse Black 7'9" Heavy, 2-4oz

Phenix M1 Inshore 9' Heavy, 3-8oz

(XXH Broomstick?)

Curado 301E - 25lb FC Sniper

Curado 301 DSV - (Line?)

Curado 301E - (Line?)

How would you fill in the three blanks, how would you pair them, and what would you throw on each?

My advice in general, and it really helps versatility, is to youtube Matt Allen's video on switching to all braid. You can spool up with 65lb braid and then just add leaders via a blood, uni-uni or Crazy Alberto knot depending on your presentation. I made the switch a couple of years ago and love it. Floating baits = mono leader or straight braid (depends on water clarity, presentation, etc). Sinking baits = fluoro leader. If the water is super clear, I'll put on a fluoro leader of over 10'. If it's murky, I'll keep it to 4-5'. I personally use the Crazy Alberto knot and love it. I don't have micro guides on any of my rods, so I don't have issues with the knot hanging up on casts. It's a really strong knot that's pretty low-profile. I haven't had any issues. I can leave the braid on my reels forever, and just switch up the leaders fresh according to presentation. Easy to do the night before and on the boat/bank.

I'd get a 400 sized reel for the XXH rod so that you could spool it with 30 lb mono to throw your big baits.

But if you don't do that

Heavy 2-4 with Dvs or E 20lb mono

Heavy 3-8 with dvs or E 25lb mono

XXH with dvs or E 25lb mono

Thanks for the responses - I've found a few posts where people recommend mono (CXX in particular) but was hoping to get some input on braid.  I don't have an XXH rod, just something to consider down the line.  I'll probably pair one 301E with fluoro on the M1, the 301DSV with mono on the Muse,and will spool up the other 301E with braid so I'll have one of each and can always swap.

I started with the Okuma Guide Select A Series XXH and the Abu Garcia Record 6601 HC with 25# CXX. I used it for everything from hudd gills to BS Mags and 9" X2 Slammers. Was it the "best" for each bait? No probably not. But being on a budget and shore fish, so having limited space, I needed a setup that could handle pretty much anything