pluton vs calcutta te dc

Ryan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny because I was just asking around about this question. So far my list:

201DC

Lighter

Slow ratio

Great components

I'm a Shimano guy :lol:

Pluton

Bigger gears and Bigger drag

Cheaper

I'm flipping a coin at this point.

i dont have a DC but have a TE 200 and a pluton. TE 200 has less bearing counts than the DC, and it already is smoother than pluton just like many shimano reels. im sure DC will give you more casting distance but pluton casts as far as TE 200 more effortlessly imo with heavier baits(swim bait). pluton obviously has much more cranking power than calcuttas, has a way more advanced drag system, but then it really means nothing when bass fishing. if you like shimano, i believe you will be more content going with the DC or TE. if you want a reel that is built like tank with more advanced internals, pluton is the one for you. Two different reels IMO.

The Plutons have had some issues with the clutch system. IE, when you push the thumb bar down really slow, the clutch trip lever doesn't click into position, making a handle turn to re-engage do nothing (i have a video showing this somewhere, i'll try and post it). They have since found the issue and are fixing it. I've come across that in 2/6 plutons i've worked on. BUT, the clutch design allows you to push up the thumb bar incase that does happen.

Only difference between the two drags really is the stock carbon fiber washers in the pluton, as well as all the drag components being contained "inside" the main gear.

Both reels come with some good quality stock bearings, although i would flush the excess grease out and run light oil.

Different braking systems, Magnetic vs Centrifugal.

They are pro's and con's to both. BOTH are excellent reels. I personally don't own either, but have worked on both, and you'd be hard pressed to be bummed by either purchase.

Both companies have great customer service from my experience.

If i had the cash, i too would probably be flipping a coin :lol:

Geoff

Hey Geoff - I'm sending you a PM. Please check it out when you get a second.

Ryan -- For my .02 on the reel selection. After owning several models from both companies, I've determined that I'm a Daiwa guy b/c I really prefer the magnetic brake from Daiwa. I'm a backlash waiting to happen and the magnetic brake makes it easier for me to fine tune when I'm on the water. I agree with Geoff when he says you'd be hard pressed to get pissed off about either purchase. Both companies make a damn fine product IMO.

-Dax

I think shimano's DC system is really on the par ( or even better ) with Daiwa's Mag braking system in terms of casting distance and the ability in preventing backlash~

Here's a review done by some Italian angler between the two reels. Hope it will help!

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... =Translate

Dang... seems like a deal breaker.... :o

but can pushing up the thumb bar really resolve this problem?

btw, thanks for the video Geoff!! Wouldn't have known.. ;)

P.S. when are you planning to make your own reel!! Definitely keep us posted if your crazy project come true!! Bet it will be sick!! ;)

Here's the video i took showing the clutch issue. Sorry for the video quality, filming in one hand and woking with the other is difficult :lol:

Geoff

Dang... seems like a deal breaker.... :o

but can pushing up the thumb bar really resolve this problem?

If you watch closely, you can see me push up the thumb bar when it doesn't re-engage. The thumb bar is part of the clutch system itself, so if the reel doesn't return into gear after a cast, you can push up the bar to engage and continue fishing.

Doesn't seem to happen to all of them, but have heard from a few others it happened to them as well.

Still a solid reel, and fun to fish.

Geoff

Ryan,

I have both reels you're asking about. Here is my 0.02:

Pluton

First off, I've heard all of the issues with the pluton, but never had them with the two I have.

-Pros: It's a work horse, powerful, built like a tank, handles larger baits better (compared to the calcutta), it casts a mile, has forged aluminum pieces, and price point. Perfect for fresh and salt.

-Cons: Line capacity, weight, palm-ability (bulkier compared to the calcutta).

Calcutta DC

-Pros: More compact (palm-ability), smoother, and lighter.

-Cons: The sound it makes when you cast (get's annoying after awhile - my opinion), handle length is short, knobs are small, and it's pricey.

If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the pluton because it's a work of art. I'm kind of bias since I'm a Diawa fan. They just make better reels.

I own them both.. and now i am fishing the Diawa z2020,... i f you can find that at a decent price it puts the others in the back seat.. it has a bearing noise that i don't like but am told it is part of the design.. I LOVE it.. compact, light, has 3 separate settings, casts like a rocket and is another work of art from Diawa....i picked mine up cheaper than a Pluton i have so coudl not pass it up...