pluton vs calcutta te dc

Ryan

I own them both.. and now i am fishing the Diawa z2020,... i f you can find that at a decent price it puts the others in the back seat.. it has a bearing noise that i don't like but am told it is part of the design.. I LOVE it.. compact, light, has 3 separate settings, casts like a rocket and is another work of art from Diawa....i picked mine up cheaper than a Pluton i have so coudl not pass it up...

Yeah, but that's if you want a low profile reel. I prefer Round reel myself, but the low profiles are fun for faster moving baits and topwaters.

The Daiwa rep hinted yesterday at a 300 sized low profile to be released later this year, with 20 lbs of drag. Sounds interesting.

PS. One of my friends had the clutch problem fixed from Daiwa, and i have the part numbers they replaced if anyone else encounters this problem. just an FYI.

Geoff

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so my pluton came in today after about 2 months of waiting and it doesn't work properly. It has the problem that geoff described. I press the cast button down, cast, then start my retrieve by winding the handle, however, the only thing that moves when I wind the handle is the worm gear, the spool doesn't engage until I manually push the cast button back up.Is there something I am doing wrong or is the reel hosed and needs to be replaced. I am soooo pissed, I paid a lot of money for the thing and first cast, it doesn't work. Fml!!!

so my pluton came in today after about 2 months of waiting and it doesn't work properly. It has the problem that geoff described. I press the cast button down, cast, then start my retrieve by winding the handle, however, the only thing that moves when I wind the handle is the worm gear, the spool doesn't engage until I manually push the cast button back up.Is there something I am doing wrong or is the reel hosed and needs to be replaced. I am soooo pissed, I paid a lot of money for the thing and first cast, it doesn't work. Fml!!!

Is it new? you can exchange it, or since it's under warranty, make daiwa fix it, should be free.

I've had this happen to various other reels as well...just push the thumb bar like a man, and it goes away eventually. :lol:

I get what you are saying Joiley, but for a $450+ reel, they shouldn't have to push the thumb bar up...IMO. At least Daiwa admitted to the problem and are seeking correction to the issue.

Geoff

it is getting sent back but I am wondering if I should just get a refund and get a calcutta 400te? thoughts? It was broken from the first cast. Sucks. Jolley, must be nice being so manly :lol:

Different reels man. The pluton has the oversized gears as well as beefed up drags to match the 400TE, but the spool capacity is the different. Plus magnetic vs. centrifugal.

I wouldn't give up on it just yet, most guys i know who have them, love them.

Geoff

Oh you're definitely right about that Geoff!

It's just what worked for me. I once bought a curado 201 dpv and when I first got it if I pushed the thumb bar slow or gently this would happen. Then I started PUSHING the thumb bar and eventually it went away. Kinda like a break in I guess.

Thanks for sharing that video. Sheds a lot of light on the failure mode.

Also, consider theses things are mass produced. There bound to have defects. At least they keep you busy right :lol: we seriously need to get some nice 100% quality, made in the USA for you reels. Someones got to be able to do it for $450 dollars, or even less.

it's not that im not pushing it firmly enough, I tried pushing down with all I had, I tried everything I could think of and even after pushing the button up, it still took 2 or 3 revolutions of the handle to engage the spool. How the hell am I supposed to land a quick biting fish? I suck as it is, I don't need mechanical issues on top of all my other faults. I will send it back, try another, but if this chit happens again, I am getting a calcutta 400 te or maybe a 300 :roll:

Already got the replacement back and so far, it working. But I haven't actually cast it yet, I am going to stop at some water on my way home and test it out. Hopefully, it works. The reel looks awesome and powerful. I am crossing my fingers.

so, fished the new pluton on Saturday and after about 20 cast, the spool stop engaging when I cranked the handle :twisted: . The only way to engage the spool is to manually lift the casting button back to the proper position :roll: .

I am torn hear, i love the reel's casting ability, it really smooth, looks good, has enough line capacity for me and l like the over sized gears it has but having to manually engage the spool sucks.

My question is, can this problem be fixed? Can Daiwa correct the problem? If yes, does the fix hold up?

If it can't be fixed, is the Calcutta the way to go or should i check out something else? I would prefer a round reel.

So far the guys who have had the fix, haven't had any issues. So i believe it is fixable, and will be infinitely better. Plus it's under warranty, so the fix should be free of charge, minus shipping.

Call Daiwa and ask for Toby. He's been great for me with finding parts and solving issues.

Geoff

My pluton gave out at the end of three weeks swimbaiting. Needless to say not happy. The reel didn't engage after some casts, but the real kicker was when the levelwind just stopped. Called daiwa and they wanted me to send it to a place for repairs. It's a three week old reel. Shouldn't have any problems at all! I demanded a new one, so they said send it to main place in Cali. Not impressed by customer service so far. We will see if they make it right.