New to swimbaits

Wgrygutis

Hey everyone, I just recently joined here.  I'm getting more and more into throwing swimbaits searching for my PB LM.   I used to do a lot of bass fishing but in years past have done most of my fishing in saltwater. I'm in New Hampshire and try to get out on the water as often as possible, but I'm looking for recommendations for some swimbaits to purchase.  I currently have a few baits on the smaller end, a bunch of live magic shads, and a few smaller hardbaits, etc.  I'm looking for some recommendations from some of the guys on here in the Northeast on baits you've had luck with.  With the cost of some of these baits I'd sure hate to waste money on any that I'd have a hard time catching fish on.  Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

If all you do is get some proven soft baits (Huddlestons or Rising Sons) and a good wake bait (Wake Jr, Baby Wak, Slammer or any good rat) you will be fine. No reason to over-complicate it when you are starting out.

Good luck!

I was in your shoes not to long ago. Unfortunately then I didnt know about this site. I agree with Top Ramen. Start simple. No matter where you are in the country LM will eat trout imitations. I would start out with a Huddleston 68 Special and then one in an 8 inch ROF, get a river2sea s-waver 168 and then a wake bait. those 4 baits will put you right around 100$ and definitely get you started. you can check out tactical bassin on youtube. hes got some really informative videos imo. Hope this helps! 

Top Ramen is right. Keep it simple. If you want to go big, I would get an 8-inch SS soft bait (rago, hudd, etc) and a 9 inch slammer. If you go small, get a 6-inch soft bait and a 7-inch slammer. If it turns out that you like swimbaits, I would then progress to fresstyle and glide baits. Try to find someone local and try some of their baits. I know I wouldn't of bought half the baits I have had I been able to try them first. 

Thanks guys I appreciate the help, going to be placing an order within the next few days.  I'm probably going to get a 7" slammer and a few hudds, might also pick up an s-waver 168.

Welcome Will! Id definitely go with what these guys mentioned. Inexpensive and considered a daily use swimbait for me. I highly recommed reading the BEGINNERS/NOOBS thread thats pinned at the top, really helped me out when i starting out. Just a heads up, get used to using the search engine before posting a question because some guys get pretty crazy seeing the same topic being brought over and over again and they wont think twice about letting you know. All in all, its a great community of people here willing to help. If you have any questions please feel free to private mesg me. Cheers.

Hey everyone, I just recently joined here.  I'm getting more and more into throwing swimbaits searching for my PB LM.   I used to do a lot of bass fishing but in years past have done most of my fishing in saltwater. I'm in New Hampshire and try to get out on the water as often as possible, but I'm looking for recommendations for some swimbaits to purchase.  I currently have a few baits on the smaller end, a bunch of live magic shads, and a few smaller hardbaits, etc.  I'm looking for some recommendations from some of the guys on here in the Northeast on baits you've had luck with.  With the cost of some of these baits I'd sure hate to waste money on any that I'd have a hard time catching fish on.  Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

If you really want to keep it simple and cheap I recommend you buy an S-Waver 168 and the 5.8" Keitechs on the 6/0 Owner Weighted Beast Hook (or weightless if you have shallow water and a lot of weeds/moss). Just buy them in the color of the most abundant forage you have there that is about the size of the baits. You can go to a S-Waver 200 if you have confidence in that size. 

You may try the Spro BBZ-1 Rat 50 as a wakebait or a 7 or 9" MS Slammer if you can afford it. I use these billed wakebaits over the ones without a bill specially when there's grass as the bill makes them almost weedless.

If you have bluegill in the waters you fish (and even if you don't) you may try Mattlures Ultimate Gill and the Jackall Gantarel. The Gantarel is a bait with AMAZING realism and I classify it as a cross between a jointed bait (like a triple trout or BBZ-1 Trout), a wakebait and a glide bait and you have two places to tie to have it dive about 3ft or just have it under the surface if you tie to the other eye. It's a floating bait. I think it's the best hard bait you can buy for that price.

Then, if you want to fish slow on the bottom in the winter you may go to a Huddleston 68 or an 8" Huddleston, but you have to be ready to lose some baits. If you can't afford them just stick to the 5.8" Keitechs. They'll work great too. ;)

I live in Portugal, where there are only northern strain bass and not very big. My PB is only 5lb, caught 15 years ago on a spinnerbait. My favorite swimbait right now is BY FAR the S-Waver 168. In half a year of fishing it I almost caught my PB (with a 4.96lb bass) last July and caught also a nice 3.8lb bass last February on it. I'm showing you pictures of those bass here. As you see they work year-round! When fishing it keep the rod pointed at the bait and parallel to the water at all times. Work it reeling in (very slowly in the winter and faster in summer, even burning it sometimes) and from time to time (or when a bass is following it) give one or two quick 1/4 or 1/2 reel handle turns to make it glide more. After the quick 1/2 reel handle turn just pause for at least a couple seconds and if you want it to glide more just move your hands forward a bit to give more slack. When you feel a bite set the hook immediately by making a sweep to the side. If you're always pointing the rod at the bait you're always in the best position to set the hook, and if you just make it glide using the reel instead of the rod it's harder to make an exaggerated jerk and having the line foul on the hooks. :)

Just read this article to learn more about how to catch giants on glide baits: http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1516953-learn-to-fish-glide-baits-for-giant-bass

Wish you catch some giants!

post-21646-0-46046300-1494155264_thumb.jpg

post-21646-0-77609800-1494155317_thumb.jpg