pulled my thong out my ass n swung the stick like a man!

SWIMBO

:lol: Thread title is epic!

Beautiful smallmouth dude!, I just set my drag to where I can pull it if I put a little muscle into it, unless fishing around cover then I crank it down but in open water I set it to where I feel like a big fish will be able to pull drag if its absolutely necessary just my .02.

i do the same

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that Kimbo Slice? :lol:

Dude, no wonder you were missing strikes, they don't call 'em smallmouths for nuttin'. They're probably hitting the bait but not getting enough of it in their mouth to get stuck. ...well, not that greedy chunk. She chomped it good.

Is that Kimbo Slice? :lol:

Dude, no wonder you were missing strikes, they don't call 'em smallmouths for nuttin'. They're probably hitting the bait but not getting enough of it in their mouth to get stuck. ...well, not that greedy chunk. She chomped it good.

Kimbo...lmao you dont know how many times i have heard that.

Im starting to think thats the case lucas..idk what the smallies are doing right now..in this body of water there are spots largies and smallies..the smallies are up shallow but only on the north west side im guessing maybe there sunning themself trying to get warm..idk

:? Water temps 49-51 degrees..the spot and largies are still deep and not active..anyone ever expierience this..this is new water for me and I have been putting in alot of time here trying to figure it out

Im starting to think thats the case lucas..idk what the smallies are doing right now..in this body of water there are spots largies and smallies..the smallies are up shallow but only on the north west side im guessing maybe there sunning themself trying to get warm..idk

:? Water temps 49-51 degrees..the spot and largies are still deep and not active..anyone ever expierience this..this is new water for me and I have been putting in alot of time here trying to figure it out

I think that it's safe to say that. I experienced my own issues when targeting smallies with the Rising Son. Even the bigger fish still have a small mouth and it's tough for them to get a hunk of rubber AND the hook in their mouth.

I thought the old adage was that the NE side of the lake/reservoir warmed the fastest in Spring but maybe it is actually the NW. I forget. It doesn't matter, you've found the fish so you're halfway there. Oh, and smallies enjoy cooler water temps than largies so they will be active earlier (and later) in the season than largies. Maybe try swimming a 3:16 Minnow on a jig head and see if your hook-up ratio increases. The smaller bait and exposed hook might be the ticket to an awesome smallie bite.

I think that it's safe to say that. I experienced my own issues when targeting smallies with the Rising Son. Even the bigger fish still have a small mouth and it's tough for them to get a hunk of rubber AND the hook in their mouth.

I thought the old adage was that the NE side of the lake/reservoir warmed the fastest in Spring but maybe it is actually the NW. I forget. It doesn't matter, you've found the fish so you're halfway there. Oh, and smallies enjoy cooler water temps than largies so they will be active earlier (and later) in the season than largies. Maybe try swimming a 3:16 Minnow on a jig head and see if your hook-up ratio increases. The smaller bait and exposed hook might be the ticket to an awesome smallie bite.

thanx ill give that a try

I've seen smallies go on absolute feeding binges at that time of year and water temp. Sometimes it is on crawdads, other times blue gill, and even on juvenile sheephead. One thing though, always around rock for me. I know they eat big too, but if you can't stick them you might need to change. Exposed hook might be all you need if the water isn't too snaggy. You could even try just adding a smalltreble stinger to what you are throwing.

I've seen smallies go on absolute feeding binges at that time of year and water temp. Sometimes it is on crawdads, other times blue gill, and even on juvenile sheephead. One thing though, always around rock for me. I know they eat big too, but if you can't stick them you might need to change. Exposed hook might be all you need if the water isn't too snaggy. You could even try just adding a smalltreble stinger to what you are throwing.

Good idea

My point is with 2.5 lbs of drag, the fish would be able to take you into the cover your trying to take it out of lol. Nvm, this is pointless. Again, nice fish man!

i use 2.5 drag when fishing the hudd shad, and when i set the hook i set it to 7.5. just sayin

I just pin my drag down and say fukem.. If the hooks pull out bc im horsing them so be it.. But im not giving them time to shake free.. ;)