Knocking the rust off

Rod Bendhard

Went out in the yak yesterday before this storm hit. We had 3 warm days in a row so I knew it would be money. Started out throwing a small rat lure I made. I was tossing it right up under some overhanging branches and within a few minutes I had my first fish of 2018!post-21268-0-06488200-1520049946_thumb.jpg

Next cast I hooked into a 5lber but dumped it at the yak like a complete amateur. That got the blood pumping! I kept fishing for another hour with no action. As time went on I started really wishing I hadn't missed that fish haha. I broke the tail off the rat on a snag so I switched it up to this weird shallow cranking rat I made. I'm fishing a shallow cove for a few minutes beating the bank with no luck when I randomly decide to bomb a Hail Mary cast right into the middle. Before my lure even hits the water I feel my phone buzz. I fumble around with my phone for a minute replying to the text when out of my peripheral I see the lure just disappear. No explosion, no swirl, just gone. It took me like 3 seconds to realize what was going on! I dropped the phone and started reeling the slack as fast as I could. When the line tightened up the fish was still on! I couldn't believe it! Took a few pics and off she went post-21268-0-30253800-1520050734_thumb.jpg

At this point I was beyond psyched. First bass of the year, on lures I made (one of the best feelings humans can experience, on par with beer in the shower) It was starting to get cold and my back was starting to feel like a dry bag of concrete from sitting in that damn kayak so I decided to call it. On my way out caught another one cranking the rat a few feet down by a fallen tree post-21268-0-98670900-1520051158_thumb.jpg