Seriously.......

buttaluns

I agree with spooky, I think you are missing the point of that list. Your comparing apples to oranges regardless of the fact we are all targeting the same species. The swimbait mentality of sticking big fish is completely different compared to the numbers games a normal recreational angler is after. That list is all about quantity not quality.

Again....you guys aren't getting what I'm saying...I don't think the top ten should be swimbaits, I just found it interesting that let's say the lucky craft jerkbait is number #1.... I was hoping to discuss more what some of your say top 5 baits would be in a tourney....and where I don't think every bait should be a swimbait I feel there should be atleast one or two more in the list used to get that big kicker fish....

To me, it is interesting, but too little data sliced into slices too small to really effect my opinion about specific baits much. Just my opinion, but absent a lot of pros tend to be a little like "sheeple" for the hot baits, not really trying comparable baits, which can further skew the info.

I think segmentation definitely skews the list so it tells more about what is happening within a market segment than what kind of lure is more effective. Think of how many jig makers are out there. If you go to the "lure types" tab you can see more than twice as many jigs (93) were selected than jerkbaits (42). The top jig only had 7 votes, while the top jerkbait (pointer) had 16. Even topwaters are more selected (44) than jerkbaits as a whole. So all we really learn is that A) jerkbait is a more narrowly defined market segment and B) the pointer is the most popular jerkbait. Not really a surprise to me. Actually confirms my usual decision to throw a different jerkbait to give the fish something other than what everybody else is throwing.

Swimbaits as a category had a total of 16 selections, equal to the number of selections for the "#1" bait. It beat categories "tube", "lizard", "buzzbait" and "chatterbait". Even though it may mostly be hollow style baits, that's better than I would have expected from the tourney crowd.

It also helps to keep in mind that a tournament fisherman is probably not going to tell you what his best bait is to keep an edge on the competition.

Rich

Exactly Rich, I can believe in proven baits, but after awhile its the guy who throws something different that that I feel will have an edge... so that's why I thought I would share

I had a guide tell me he got pissed off because a past client approached him on the water to say hi. He said I could have something on my deck I dont want to be seen. I now have a few baits like that, not that I would get pissed if someone approached me on the water to say hi but I do have some mods I use that work well. Every once in a while you find something different that works. I have to ask myself is it because the fish are not conditioned to it yet? I think that matters on highly pressured western reservoirs.

Rich