Butch Brown Thumper Tail vs Pike???

mcclovinfishing

Hello everyone, this is my first official post on SU. 

So I recently picked up a BB 9” thumper tail to fish in PA. My setup is a dobyns 806, 25 lb maxima ultra green and a tranx 300. I hooked up into a monster a little past sunset and wasn’t able to grind him in— I had to loosen the drag like an underpowered fool. 

About 10 minutes in, and several runs by the fish (possibly pike, catfish, or record smallmouth [lol] but unsure what exactly) I was able to gain ground and he was close to me, still couldn’t see it.

One last run, and the fish popped off with my thumper tail. I looked at the line to inspect it and it had no knicks, cuts, or anything. The knot was even intact!!! Mind you I tie a double uni, and both of the loops were uncut, as if I tied the knot without a lure.

Now, has anyone else experience this problem with the thumper tails? I feel as if the harness had a gap in the wire so the knot was able to split off of it. Still unsure.

If anyone has some insight on the thumper tail, let me know. 

—Evan

7 hours ago, porkmeatballs said:

Yeah, the Thumper tail that I have had an open line tie. Your knot probably slipped right through the gap on that last run. If you get another Thumper, maybe try closing the line tie before fishing it just to be safe.

Thanks for the help! Maybe I should use a different knot too that will constrict around the line tie better.

Sorry to hear it...yes the Thumper comes with a small gap in the line tie from the way it is designed and manufactured. You're going to need a very big knot if you don't want it to slip through haha. A simpler fix is to carefully push the face back a little away from the harness and clamp the line tie shut with a pair of needle nose pliers. Also beware of the belly hook hanger... I've heard reports of it bending open on bigger fish.

I hope this helps, now go get em!

i've seen @gradycodd post a little trick before where he ties a bunch of knots and clips them, which prevents your actual knot from slipping to undesired positions

tough to see, but take a look at the line tie on the punker

post-21476-0-43333800-1522347277.jpg

Edited by northeast_trev