How do you throw the Jr.?

Fat-G

Just wanted to see what setups you guys use for Wake Jr.'s. I can't seem to throw mine very far, maybe 35-40 yards on a good cast. I've tried two different rods; my 8'6" XH Custom and a Lamiglas XC807, both with my 400 TE. The setup that easily threw it the furthest was the Lamiglas with 25# CXX. It was basically the catapult effect. Makes sense. I'm trying to get an LDC Production Heavy, but my mom just saw my bank account and the jaw-dropping charge to a company in Japan. She was absolutely livid that I bought more gear. Luckily my new toy hasn't shown up yet. So I'm thinking the Production Heavy with braid will throw it well?

What are you guys using?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been throwing mine on a softer custom NFC, it used to helicoptor on my okuma XH but casting the bait seems to be really dependant on how the rod loads and unloads. I think the H action rod might do it for ya!

Which NFC Colby? That's what I'm using also.

It also helps to feather it on the cast and prior to landing as Ben has mentioned before but that also robs you of some distance. Nothing worse though than making a nice long cast and ending up with a fouled bait :x

BTW Hayden, an angry mom because you spent too much money on fishing gear is nothing compared to an angry wife because you spent too much money on fishing gear. Tell her to give you some slack... before you know it you'll have someone else breathing down your back.

-Ali

Which NFC Colby? That's what I'm using also.

I'm not familiar with the specific model but I need to find out, my buddy builds all sorts of rods and I felt the NFC and had to have it, I already ordered my second one.

I might have heard 15-40# in his description but honestly I just take it and go chuckin haha, its a spectacular rod blank! loads just right for all sorts of baits from 5'' line throughs up to rof 5 8'' hudds it hits a sweet spot for almost any bait and can even handle a rof 12 moderately well.

I will do some research and get back to you when I find out, are you familiar enough with the line to possibly know what model im running?

Your bait is to small for your rod. The junior is only 3.1oz . The rod you have begins at 5oz, according to bens website. I know that's the production model he has listed, but I'm pretty sure the lure weight rating is similar on the customs. You need to step down to the MH if you want better casting distance. And maybe a 300 sized reel too. Drop your line to 20-25lb or braid. I've thrown the junior on a 795ML/301 and it cast much better than on a heavier rod/reel. Just my .02

Mine cast really well on my LDC MH and braid.

I've thought about just getting the MH. My only concern would be if I switch back to copoly. I feel like a MH powered moderate action blank and stretchy line would really piss me off. Although, maybe with the super fast reel I'm getting, I would be able to compensate for the rod power and line stretch with line pickup. I'm really at a loss as far as fishing line goes right now. Using braid versus using copoly has a pretty big impact on how you should set up your gear, especially swimbait gear. This is what I was thinking, since these are the only baits I really feel the need to buy anymore.

8'6" Custom XH / 400 TE / 80# Braid - OG Wake, BAA, 12" Slammer

--switch back to copoly in the cool weather for throwing the 8" Hudd--

8'6" Production Heavy / **unnamed reel** / 80# Braid - Wake Jr., 9" Slammer, 6-8" TT, 6" FS Trout, Rising Son

The simple answer would be to get 4-5 more LDC's. Total junkie thing to say.

I think a Production H would handle the Jr best. A 2-300 size reel would probably help as well; I use a Pluton for my H. I have yet to experience the helicopter effect.

Ive had the best results throwing mine on a LDC Custom XH with a Daiwa Z2020HL. It might be more the reel, referring to distance, but it handles it very well. I could get 45 to 50 yards, with feathering the spool toward the end of the cast to avoid the "death roll"

I think a Production H would handle the Jr best. A 2-300 size reel would probably help as well; I use a Pluton for my H. I have yet to experience the helicopter effect.

I think he said it best.

I honestly get plenty of distance on my custom XH 8', just using a different reel (tuned curado 300). The TE with the non-disengaging levelwind will limit your distance, especially since you like using heavier line, and it has a wider spool. Your new reel you ordered would handle the bait better, plus in like 3 cranks you could have it back into you for another cast ;)

Also, are you casting overhand or 3/4 or sidearm? i've done best with sidearm to 3/4 casts.

Geoff

As has been mentioned, controlling the line tension throughout the cast by feathering the spool with thumb pressure is key for casting the jr. I find if you go heli on it your get even less distance than if you were to apply some pressure to the spool to keep the bait stable in flight. Good luck, fish it hard, it's an awesome, productive and versatile bait.