Foam grips

hunterfj

Hello SU!! 

I have a Ldc "custom" rod that has a porous foam grip, rough in feel compared to a workshop with a x flock grip.. The custom grip reminds me of the foam on a parkNpole used by yakers.  Is there any way to preserve the foam or revitalize it?  The foam on my ParkNPole split after a few years and would hate for my unused $550 rod do the same, prior to going to use.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA 

11 hours ago, hunterfj said:

Hello SU!! 

I have a Ldc "custom" rod that has a porous foam grip, rough in feel compared to a workshop with a x flock grip.. The custom grip reminds me of the foam on a parkNpole used by yakers.  Is there any way to preserve the foam or revitalize it?  The foam on my ParkNPole split after a few years and would hate for my unused $550 rod do the same, prior to going to use.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA 

I've never seen a sealer for foam grips, only cork sealer, but there are a few options. 

if it has indents in it, you can slowly pour boiling water over the grip and it will remove the groove/indent, may take a few applications. videos on u tube of this application. 

if it has pieces/gouges in it, guys use a small amount of spray foam sealant and then sand it down and color match it with paint or dyes 

the easiest and probably the best option is just cover it with heat shrink x flock or the smooth stuff, comes in a  bunch of colors now too which is nice, so you could match it to a reel/knobs or just add some color, its best if its also thread wrapped and epoxied on the ends, most rod repair shops can do the shrink and thread wraps and runs around $30 (at least thats what i paid the last few times) 

another cheap and quick option is to use the Winn grip tape, also comes in a bunch of colors/patterns, you just apply it like hockey or golf tape. Some of the big box sports stores carry it in the golf department so no need to order it and wait. 

obviously taking acre of it from the beginning will also help a ton, theres all kinds of videos about cleaning em and preserving them on line. 

hope that helps

-Chef 

I appreciate your input/pointers. I didn't think about shrink tape or Winn tape.

The rod is brand new, never been used and was bought this winter from LDC, custom 1 of 1.

I was just kind of concerned because the foam grip seem kind of brittle. Rod has been kept in the house since I received it.

I would love to hear from some guys/gals that have  a LDC custom, not production. Would like to know the durability of the foam compared to the production models.

17 minutes ago, hunterfj said:

I appreciate your input/pointers. I didn't think about shrink tape or Winn tape.

The rod is brand new, never been used and was bought this winter from LDC, custom 1 of 1.

I was just kind of concerned because the foam grip seem kind of brittle. Rod has been kept in the house since I received it.

I would love to hear from some guys/gals that have  a LDC custom, not production. Would like to know the durability of the foam compared to the production models.

I’ve had my first custom for about 9 years now and the foam is still in good shape. No cracks just an occasional spot from hook points. Durability of the foam should not be an issue at all

13 hours ago, hunterfj said:

Ive owned a few LDC rods, "factory" pre white label and full customs, and besides a hook point or indent from placement I never had an issue with the foam personally. 

I have saltwater rods that see much more abuse than my swimbait rigs and no issues with that foam either (same product that LDC uses) 

It really shouldnt be an issue. 

You have any pics of the rod? 

12 hours ago, hunterfj said:

472724526_P1010107-MikeLongOutdoors.jpg.7c8ff80ec37769f32741b52a346780b9.jpg

20190307_173751.jpg

thats a sick set up. All the components Ben uses at LDC are top notch, I doubt you'll have any issue with the foam. 

did you order with the foam or pick it up from someone else? 

I picked the stick  up from the LDC website. I wanted a  custom rod and heard nothing but good things about LDC. I wanted a cheaper version but every time I looked at the website they were sold out. Then one day I saw they had this custom and my impatience got the best of me. I could pay a little more and wait 4-5 days and have my 1st LDC. I'm not keen on long wait times for products, especially since signing up on waiting list for a highly sought after bait. Months later, no communication, even though I sent several email inquiring on the status.  Luckily there were no funds transferred.

Edited by hunterfj

Picked it up from the website. It was already made to some ones specs. Only decision I had in it was pulling the trigger on a very expensive rod.  I know , I know the reel was expensive too. 

Unfortunately I have a fishing tackle and gear addiction.