Castaic

encinoman

Im heading up to castaic this weekend with a few buddies. We will be fishing from shore. Anyone been up there lately? I'm torn between fishing the goon or fishing the upper lake for stripers. Any help is greatly appreciated.

North end of the Lagoon is choked out pretty bad with weeds, but I was able to work a Wake Jr. through a few open patches here and there. Missed a blow up doing that. Tried a MissionFish but couldn't get it to come through the weeds clean at all. You might have cleaner water to work starting on the south end, but I don't know for sure b/c I was out at night and didn't fish that area last week. Typically less weed growth on that end though.

I have no clue how the striper bite is going on the main lake, but usually doesn't get too good on artificials from shore until late August when the shad spawn starts. (I should note that I'm no expert as Castaic consistently demoralizes me - aside from that sweet spot when they start boiling.)

I went out last Saturday night for the moonlight event on the main lake and threw the 10" wake and wake jr all night without a bite. Typical Castaic trip for me.

Good luck out there.

-Dax

Hey John, did that striper hit out in open water or was it up close to the bank? I'd like to target them with the Wake Jr. next time I go out, so I'm wondering if I should just be chunking it in open water.

Thanks!

-Dax

Hey John, did that striper hit out in open water or was it up close to the bank? I'd like to target them with the Wake Jr. next time I go out, so I'm wondering if I should just be chunking it in open water.

Thanks!

-Dax

Shad was in the back of a cove so I targeted a secondary point inside the cove and ate it about half way back past the point, seen a big wake behind my Swimbait so i gave it a twitch and got em to commit.

Hey John, thanks a lot for telling me that. When I was out there for the moonlight fishing, I spent the entire time on main lake points and got nadda .... obviously, they were all stacked up in the backs of coves. Typical of me to be completely out of touch with those fish, but it really helps to know what I did wrong, so thank you.

BTW: I've seen the vast majority of your big swimbait bass pictures over the years (especially from Casitas) and you are for damn certain a big fish master.

-Dax

Thanks for the kind words :D castias was an awesome lake had a crazy shad spawn this year but didn't get any giants, no trout screws the big Swimbait bite, caught most Swimbait fish on 1ups, OG wakes, Armageddons & 10" triple trouts & hudds and they won't even follow that stuff anymore. They're still eating punkers though.

You'll see me at Castaic :) Swimbait bite is ON with a few smaller baits for bass :) keep chuckin !