Mattlures Ultimate Gill question

BadgerStateBassin

I've got an Ultimate Gill that only has tail kick at very high rates of retrieve. Is this a common issue with these baits, and is there a way to fix it? It's a killer looking bait, would love to get it working right. I've read that boiling the tail may help?

Slowly starting to get back into swimbaiting after buying a rod and a few baits a couple years ago but not having the confidence to throw them year round here in Wisconsin.

"very high rate of retrieve" is the variable here.

I've had (and still have) at least a dozen Ultimate Gills.  Of different colors (including white) and from what I'm assuming are a multitude of separate pours/manufacturer dates.  I mention all that because those would be the only things to possible allow for a slightly stiffer plastic, and consequently the need for a higher retrieve.

It is not a bait you can crawl like a Hudd 68 or really any vortex style tail, they simply swing at the slowest of speeds.  Also, among paddle tail baits the design is such that you do in fact have to go faster that say the 3:16 Rising Son, which kicks at particularly slow speeds for a paddle tail.

I would classify it as needing at least a moderate retrieve.  Which, on any reel in the 6 ratio class (eg. 6.3:1) would, IMO, be around one revolution of the reel's crank / 2 seconds.

Absolutely try boiling the tail.  I've done it to a few of mine that bent tails from being in storage poorly.  I didn't notice much, if any difference in swim, but it can only help and wont' hurt anything.

Ah I see, that's good to know. I definitely was expecting it to be more of a Hudd type bait that you can crawl. When I say "high rate of retrieve" though, I mean practically burning the bait so it's almost waking on the surface to get the tail to kick. Maybe I just got a bad one? I'll definitely see if boiling the tail helps.