Wire hinges

CaliBassin

Just watched a video by marling baits and noticed he used twisted wire as a joint connection system. Seems much easier than screw eyes but am questioning the strength. Does anyone use this method? If so what type of wire is best? 
thanks- Tyler 

The wire I use is the same as the plug building wire I use on my striper plugs. 

theres a lot of ways to do it, some are easier than others but my method is similar to his. I twist mine by hand instead of the drill cause I have more control and I’m only doing like 3 or 4 pieces 

the nice thing is you can make the loops as big or small as you want and the wire itself as long as you need, so if you were making a big bait or super tiny bait the options are endless 

2 minutes ago, chefchris said:

The wire I use is the same as the plug building wire I use on my striper plugs. 

theres a lot of ways to do it, some are easier than others but my method is similar to his. I twist mine by hand instead of the drill cause I have more control and I’m only doing like 3 or 4 pieces 

the nice thing is you can make the loops as big or small as you want and the wire itself as long as you need, so if you were making a big bait or super tiny bait the options are endless 

Thank you! Just steel wire from home depot? Definitely seems a lot easier to have tight joints with wire opposed to screw eyes

Edited by CaliBassin

This is the wire I use, the nice thing is I use the cut offs for screw eyes mostly after I use the main piece for thru wired striper plugs. 

you can also pick up the same wire in longer lengths, usually 24-36” at a welding supply shop by the pound or package. 

6CA6E050-B10D-4311-82F5-2B9705882836.jpeg

58 minutes ago, LUV-2-CATCH'EM said:

I have tested the strength by drilling a hole and epoxy the twisted wire into wood...I couldn't break it or pull it apart!

It seemed as strong or stronger that the normal Screw eye...

Yeah they’re super strong, there’s some videos on YouTube of guys doing pull and bend test with both kinds 

34 minutes ago, KCS Custom Lures said:

If you're going to use this method, use epoxy in any of those drilled holes.  If you use just superglue, that will fail much faster.

Literally came on here to ask this question. Thanks man!

On 10/25/2019 at 9:35 AM, El_Weruso said:

It's really tough to twist the wire the way the youtuber marlin baits does it without a vice. Tried with vice grips and my drill and it's tough when you use strong wire. What i have trouble with is pushing the wire in place

I just nailed a nail into the corner of my workbench and cut the tip off, then I use that to bend the wire to make the eyelets before putting in a drill. no need for a vise

Edited by juice54