Mattlures Mini Meat Head colors

waynem

There are some really gifted swimbait makers out there, but I'm always so impressed with the Mattlures craftsmanship - these things are works of art. I thought I'd post these pics up to give guys a good view of some of the color patterns. 

IMG_2576.JPG

IMG_2578.jpg

When I swim tested the deep diver I immediately noticed that it floated up so slowly it was nearly suspending.  That's often a key to cold-water bass.  We still have a bit of ice on some of the lakes here.  Today was the first time I had a chance to fish the bait.  These are my first 2 fish: 5-2 and around 4 pounds.  The bait has a nice little thump on the retrieve to boot.1855345678_FullSizeRender76.thumb.jpg.d7d53557124e093c6645e41f2ced0201.jpg

FullSizeRender 80.jpg

3 hours ago, El_Weruso said:

Nice@waynem! You say is suspends, so is that the normal deep diver? I'm assuming it wouldn't be his slow diving deep diver

Matt makes the deep diver in a sinking version and a slow floating version.  The one I was using is the floater which does come to the surface on the pause but VERY slowly.  I suspect that it would take very little added weight to make it suspend perfectly if thats what you wanted to do.  I'm fishing it around rocks and wood so I want something that will float up off a snag if I need it to.  I'm still just learning what it will do.

On 3/12/2020 at 5:42 PM, tybo jones said:

Nice ones Wayne. How deep those mini’s cranking down? 

Hi Tyler.  I only fished the bait for the last hour of a trip this week.  That got me 2 nice bass but I really am not sure how deep I can get it to go.  On fairly short casts with a lot of pauses it seemed to be running at least 5 feet.  This was on 25# line.  I really need to try it on a 20# mono or 17# fluoro setup.  So on a long cast and a steady retrieve I'm guessing it will get to 6 or perhaps 7 feet but that is just a guess for now.  It definitely runs deeper than most crankers.  The full size deep dive Meathead gets down to 10 feet for me on 25# line (deepest running SB I own).  The mini dive (floater version) is not going to get that deep.  With only an hour of fishing it I can say it definitely runs deeper than any Pats I've owned or any deep dive Slammer.  It is close to neutral density so you don't have to really crank it fast to keep it down like those baits.  A buddy grabbed one of the deep dive sinking minis but he hasn't gotten it wet yet.  I'll shoot you a message when I get more hours on it.

15 minutes ago, waynem said:

Hi Tyler.  I only fished the bait for the last hour of a trip this week.  That got me 2 nice bass but I really am not sure how deep I can get it to go.  On fairly short casts with a lot of pauses it seemed to be running at least 5 feet.  This was on 25# line.  I really need to try it on a 20# mono or 17# fluoro setup.  So on a long cast and a steady retrieve I'm guessing it will get to 6 or perhaps 7 feet but that is just a guess for now.  It definitely runs deeper than most crankers.  The full size deep dive Meathead gets down to 10 feet for me on 25# line (deepest running SB I own).  The mini dive (floater version) is not going to get that deep.  With only an hour of fishing it I can say it definitely runs deeper than any Pats I've owned or any deep dive Slammer.  It is close to neutral density so you don't have to really crank it fast to keep it down like those baits.  A buddy grabbed one of the deep dive sinking minis but he hasn't gotten it wet yet.  I'll shoot you a message when I get more hours on it.

Thanks for the detailed information. Sounds like a winner. 

Very nice. I have some ultimate and hammer tail gills and they are amazing. Had a floating strong bass that was beautiful just a little to big. I didn’t even know they made them in deep diver and now I need one lol