Reel for big glides and big softbaits

Kevinzap

Looking for a reel primarily to throw a hinkle trout. Any recommendations? Im a  shimano guy and am deciding between a tranx 400 and a conquest. Which is better for the bait with the line recovery and other variables? Its also gonna be used for large softbaits like the 10” hudd and other baits in the 8+ oz range. It will be mounted on a Dobyns 908. Thanks SU

I'm a huge fan of the Tranx series since I like low profile reels. Plus they come with faster gear ratios which is applicable for picking up line for glides and you can always slow down for the hudd.

Conquest is the gold standard and ironically enough it’s also colored as such. 

Tranx is also great but a tier below the quality of a conquest. 

If money is no object the Conquest, if you’re more of a Chevy/ford workhorse budget kinda person then Tranx. 

20 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Tranx is also great but a tier below the quality of a conquest

If money is no object the Conquest, if you’re more of a Chevy/ford workhorse budget kinda person then Tranx

Thanks for the info. You said that the tranx is a tier below the conquest. How much so? What are some key differences? Thank you for the input!

Well one is a $300 reel and one is a $550+ reel so it’s pretty straightforward. They’re not in the same tier. 

From a practical standpoint the Conquest will be smoother. That’s basically the bottom line. Someone somewhere would probably give you an extensive rundown of the stats of both reels and internal components all compared to each other but both are just fine for any applications you’re thinking of... and will work GREAT.

Don’t over think it. You’re not going to magically catch a disproportionate amount more fish on a Conquest just because it costs twice as much. 

Is the Conquest twice as nice as a Tranx? Is a Ferrari twice as nice as a Mustang? 

Buy what fits your budget and what you want to fish. 

Edited by Cranky

11 hours ago, Cranky said:

Tranx is also great but a tier below the quality of a conquest

If money is no object the Conquest, if you’re more of a Chevy/ford workhorse budget kinda person then Tranx

Thanks for the info. You said that the tranx is a tier below the conquest. How much so? What are some key differences? Thank you for the input!

ok thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Don’t forget....as I agree you want something a little faster to pick up that slack on a glide, you’re also tossing 8-10oz baits. The faster gears will burn out faster. I think you’d be well off to find a lower ratio reel that has a high IPT. I think the 5.8 Tranx has a high intake. As much as I love my OG Lexa’s, my Nacl’s are my huge bait reels. I use the 5.4 which has a reasonable high line intake. I’m sure a Revo toro S or toro beast would be good too. The beast comes in a 4.9 and 6.3 I think and the S has a 5.3

If I  was considering a Conquest I'd get the Tranx 400A & a 400AHG. I do fish a Tranx 400A and a Revo Toro Beast 60 HS and both are sweet.  If gifted a Conquest I'd sell it and buy me a Tranx 400AHG and 300A. 

• 2 weeks later...