Swimbait Grind

Weber_

On 3/27/2020 at 9:45 AM, bake and waker said:

When you think your running the bait slow enough,,,, slow it down more

That’s what I keep hearing. Sometimes can be tough with my A.D.D Fishing mentality but I’m working on it. Thanks for the feedback.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:57 AM, El_Weruso said:

As @168 Rookie mentioned, just start simple. The only higher end bait i'd recommend is the Deps 175, it catches numbers. Glide it/ Twitch it, you'll get some. As for the "Grind" part, it's no different than traditional fishing. Fish, learn, presevere and build your confidence by paying attention to fish following/biting/reacting to what you're doing right. I haven't caught a swimbait fish so far this year, every persons fishing experience is different. Some people have more time to fish, better fisheries, pressured waters, fishing prime times (While others are working). There's too many variables, but just keep at it with affordable proven baits and you'll be fine. Keep in mind this has just been my experience

I bought the depths 175 and I really like the action. The Gantral has been a really fun one to Fish as well. Thanks for the feedback I know I just need to keep grinding it out and being patient. I live in Southern California and some of the local lakes and ponds are really pressured so it makes it harder but I like the challenge. I know when I do get one it’s going to be satisfying.

11 hours ago, Jace D said:

Are you on the bank or from a boat? If you can, get off the bank in a float tube, kayak or boat. This will make a difference because you can get to snagged baits easier and free them. I don’t think guys think about this a whole lot but if you aren’t afraid of throwing baits on bottom because you can get over them if they get hung it opens things up a lot for you. 

The absolute biggest tip I can give to a beginner who is trying to catch big fish on swimbaits has nothing to do with the bait, the color, the rod, reel, line, etc. Not that those things aren’t important but they pale in comparison to this... find out where the fish (and more importantly the big fish) live and feed. This might seem obvious but it’s absolutely THE biggest factor in catching fish on swimbaits.

Look for any clues that will give you info on where the fish like to hang out. Fleeing baitfish, followers behind your bait, anything that gives away their location (big glide baits are great for this). 

Usually there will be a feature in the area that the fish like to hang around. The end of a sloping point, a tree, a dock, a rock pile, a single stump. These are high percentage areas and you should work on focusing your time on these spots.

Once you know where they are, don’t worry about seeing them anymore. They’re there. I think too many guys want to see the fish before they catch them. This isn’t necessary. I don’t want to see the fish. I don’t want followers, I want eaters. So, just be stealthy, make the longest accurate cast that you can and believe that you’re gonna get bit. 

Try not to waste your time. Try to know what spot you’re targeting and hit it with 3-6 casts and move on. Rolling down a bank may turn up a fish every once in a while but it’s not a high percentage approach. And if you do catch a fish that seems random, pay attention to where, when, and how you caught it. It almost certainly wasn’t random. 

Don’t bring conventional gear with you for awhile at first and you’ll be whackin’ em before you know it. Just stick with it, IT WILL HAPPEN, trust me. Good luck bud!

Mostly bank fishing, I’m not afraid to throw big baits anywhere, i understand that losing baits is part of the game.  

These are all great tips. I’ve been conventional fishing for a while and i though it would be the same, but i was wrong.  I haven’t touched my conventional setups in a month or so. I told my self that I will not use any other method of fishing till i catch a Swimbait fish. 

Appreciate the response and keep you posted when i land the big one

On 3/27/2020 at 10:12 AM, Jinxd12 said:

I will tell you this, before I found this amazing SU community I wanted to have the biggest and baddest baits "they" said. I don't know who they is besides the "internet".

$ baits don't equal more fish. Pretty sure everyone can agree to that.

Big ass baits don't ever mean "MORE" fish unless you have the bait dialed in to you I suppose.

To start landing fish, and getting followers consistently I downsized my baits significantly.bfrom the deps 250s all the way down to 6 and 7 inch baits, maybe even some 5" gill baits.

I started to hookup more and more the more I learned to use reel/rod/line types,sizes,cadence's.

I can't tell you how many times I wanted to put the Ol' senko on to catch the fish I could freaking see!!!

Don't do it, leave the conventional at home, and throw the baits til your arm/wrist fall off.

P.S. got my PB on a swimbait this year. 2 years after I started this swimbait addiction.

Sorry for the long winded response!

This community is amazing! 

I agree $ baits don’t equal more fish. I’ve gone down for sure, deps 175, citizen 6, gantral, etc... I’m really learning to fish these and will go from there. 

Damn that tried and True Senko, always comes through!!! 

I haven’t used my convention setup for a while, I’m fully committed to not touch it until i get a Swimbait fish. I feel Like when i do, i wont go back to conventional. 

Congrats on your PB, I know there will be more to come!!! 

Thanks for the response and tips!!!

On 3/27/2020 at 4:19 PM, a_mum said:

find baits that fit your style or that you like. and as stated before dont worry about the "grind" we all get blanked 

Also nothing will beat time on the water just got to go out there commit to the bait and learn how fish react to them  

For sure. A bad day on the water is still better than most things! 

Thanks for the response 

21 hours ago, 479Swimbaiter said:

-Don't buy baits you are too afraid to throw because you'll lose them. 

-If you have never owned a $50+ bait, it is your natural instinct to be more careful when throwing it... Don't .... Fish that thing like you mean it. If you lose it, thats part of the game. Confidence will come with time.

-Rarely do $200 glides and swimbaits catch more fish then the ones $60 under. The majority of the most popular big fish slaying swimbaits are under $60. Huddlestons $30, S-Wavers $20-40. More expensive baits do have better paint jobs and some times a little better action.

-Leave the conventional rods at home or you will never stop throwing them

-Don't give up on swimbaits, it will result in your PB faster than you think. 

-Watch youtube like crazy, find channels with informative content like TacticalBassin, crazybassfisher, Swimbait Chronicles. 

-Don't skimp on rod and reel quality. Even if it means you only have 1 main setup. Build it around what you will be throwing most. Spend the extra money on the Tranx or the custom rod. No one has ever regretted it. 

-Enjoy yourself and get more people throwing big baits. 

I understand throwing big baits and losing them is part of the game, which I’m ok with. Ive kept my purchasing under 60 dollars for the time being. I do have a deps 250 and 175 on deck when i’n ready for the big leagues. Love the action on both of those.  The gantral has been a go to for me lately and the citizen 6.

Conventional rods haven’t been touched in a month, most likely won’t be touched for a while. 

I just got the tranx and i love it. The reel is so smooth!! 

Thanks for the feedback!