Feedback needed on prototype shad glide!

carwij04

Looks like a good start! 
For myself I would hold off on the scales and focus on getting a bait that swims properly first, it can save yourself a lot of time. Are you planning on molding the bait? For a glide the joint looks a little far forward to achieve a wide classic glide bait swim, but I think it would be perfect placement for a 3 piece swimmer. A glide can be tricky so if you are molding I would mold it as a whole and cut the joint after so you can refine the placement and weighting without the labor of a whole new bait. Good luck, for me the joy of lure building is learning from every bait what to do and what not to do it can take a lot of work and some paperweights to get some baits that work well, but it’s always worth it when you have something no one else does and the fish want it!

7 hours ago, JCswimbaits said:

Looks like a good start! 
For myself I would hold off on the scales and focus on getting a bait that swims properly first, it can save yourself a lot of time. Are you planning on molding the bait? For a glide the joint looks a little far forward to achieve a wide classic glide bait swim, but I think it would be perfect placement for a 3 piece swimmer. A glide can be tricky so if you are molding I would mold it as a whole and cut the joint after so you can refine the placement and weighting without the labor of a whole new bait. Good luck, for me the joy of lure building is learning from every bait what to do and what not to do it can take a lot of work and some paperweights to get some baits that work well, but it’s always worth it when you have something no one else does and the fish want it!

Thanks for the feedback, how are you able to cut the joint evenly once you get it finished and everything? I found it a lot easier to make an accurate cut for the joint when the bait was just a block of wood and it sat perfectly straight on the bandsaw table.

12 hours ago, Rogervang said:

The scales would look good. I say mold it. You save yourself a lot of time. Mold it whole at first then play around with the joint placement and find out with one works best, then you can mold it again, cut.  Unless you like wood bait then go for it. 

How do you get an accurate cut in the joint with the bait being already finished? I cut it when the bait was just a block of wood because the bottom of it was flat so it would sit at a perfect 90 on the bandsaw table instead of just eyeballing it with the finished bait.