Newbie question

carwij04

So I’m just starting out bait making and I was wondering what the differences are between a wood bait and a resin bait in sink rate. Like for example, if you had a wood and resin bait the same exact size and you added 3oz of tungsten, would they sink at the same ROF or what would the difference be? Just trying to get an idea of how they sink compared to wood before I order any.

There are a lot of factors here that determine the sink rate of a bait. It depends on the specific gravity of the material and the amount of weight added. A simple way to think about specific gravity is in terms of the density of the material.
Balsa has a very low specific gravity (low density) and so it floats very high on the water. Walnut has a higher specific gravity (higher density) so it won't float as well. A piece of lead has a very high specific gravity (high density) so it will sink fast. If you have a chunk of balsa and a chunk of walnut the exact same volume, you will need to add more weight to the balsa than to the walnut to get them to sink at the same rate.

I don't work with resin but I do know many guys will add micro balloons to their resin to help float it. In general, casting resin will sink with nothing added to it whereas wood in general will float with nothing added to it. So in general, the same amount of weight added to the same size bait, one being wood (let's say poplar) and the other being resin without micro balloons, then the resin will sink much faster. 

Just as you would choose different types of wood types according to their unique properties, mixing different ratios of microballons into resin will effectively allow you to manipulate properties such as sink rate, ease of carving, durability, etc. Straight resin is super strong but will sink pretty fast. My first baits were pure resin pours. I was still able to get done ballast in them but not much so they weren't the most balanced. Adding microballons to decrease the resin density will allow you to add more ballast and/or achieve slow sinking or floating baits.

On 5/12/2020 at 2:59 PM, danthefisherman said:

Just as you would choose different types of wood types according to their unique properties, mixing different ratios of microballons into resin will effectively allow you to manipulate properties such as sink rate, ease of carving, durability, etc. Straight resin is super strong but will sink pretty fast. My first baits were pure resin pours. I was still able to get done ballast in them but not much so they weren't the most balanced. Adding microballons to decrease the resin density will allow you to add more ballast and/or achieve slow sinking or floating baits.

Is there any thread on here that explains how to adjust micro balloons in casting resin? I just ordered some resin, going to be my first experience with time using it.

The mixing process of adjusting microballoon is up to the profile of the bait. Not two different profile bait will share the same formula, or rarely. You'll have to mess around with different ratio to get tou where you want to be. Yes you'll be wasting product, but that's part of the process. 

2 hours ago, carwij04 said:

Is there any thread on here that explains how to adjust micro balloons in casting resin? I just ordered some resin, going to be my first experience with time using it.

What @Rogervang said...it will vary from bait to bait. That said, I like mixing up to 100% by volume for most projects but will drop down to 50% if I want a faster sinking bait.