Summertime and Big baits...

jdjtexas

Im in the very Northern part of California, fishing big, deep, and clear reservoirs. The past weekend was the first "cool" weekend got down to the 70's but its going back up into the mid 90's this week and has been in the 100's for the past month. Fishing around the lake has been pretty tough except fishing the big marinas. Giant spots and largemouth are all hiding under the docks and will hit big baits(TK, K9, Joker, S-Waver, Ospreys) all day long, especially early morning. The rest of the lake has gotten so bad that a buddy and I started fishing from the marinas instead of the boat, no point wasting time anywhere else. 

Moon phase plays a big role in my experiance, but I do about 98% of night fishing. 

Just the rule of thumb. Summer more erratic and winter slow down. The fishes will position themself to different structure during the different phases. Its just up to you to know how to approach them, different bait different technique. You have to remember that they are always key in on bait so where ever the bait goes, they're more than likely to fallow but they only go so far. 

If you start studying the fishes during the different moon phases you'll pickup really fast how and where the fishes are feeding. For me, fish moves up shallow during new moon and they move deep during full moon. New moon is an easy target because tpu can see you target. Full moon is when you have to know your under water structures.  I feel like I'm getting carry away haha. Well leave the rest for another topic. 

The fishes behavior changes during summer/winter. You just have to figure them out and adjust to them. 

Great tips @Rogervang personally when night fishing I tend to stay semi shallow (0-8Feet) regardless of moon phase

Just not a big fan of fishing deep at night(Unless its really close to shore like a cliff at steep bank)...I tend to lose my Orientation the father I get away from the shore line at night.

Also I try to think of the full moon like it was the sun...Primarily focusing on the “Moon lit” side of the lake...If I fish all night I’ll shift to the other side of the lake as the moon begins to set...Also pay attention to the shadows you cast when the moon is to your back...

Early on I spooked a lot of fish with my “Body shadow” by recklessly approaching them with moon to my back (same theory apples when your flipping during the day with the sun high)

I’m still amazed how close we can get to fish at night...

Anyway I sure can ramble but I hope this helps you