New SU tourney rules

Mossypumpkin

Does anyone else feel like the new rules are catering to guys in boats?

Sorry, but sitting in a kayak in the dark by yourself and trying to get a measurement on a board, get a video, pictures, be far enough away to include the whole fish, close enough to read your scale and have enough lighting is all but impossible.....and doing so one handed while holding a fish and in quick enough time to be able to release the fish in good health. 

Pretty easy to do with a boat with livewells, but it’s quite a damper on the kayak guys. Am I wrong? And the truth is, is someone wants to cheat, they’re gonna cheat. Unless it’s cast to catch, a big fish can be caught on a conventional bait. I can get the code on tourney day and go to the lake with 10 friends and when someone catches a 7lber just get my pic taken with it. There’s a million ways of a person wants to cheat....

16 minutes ago, Mossypumpkin said:

Sorry, but sitting in a kayak in the dark by yourself and trying to get a measurement on a board, get a video, pictures, be far enough away to include the whole fish, close enough to read your scale and have enough lighting is all but impossible.....and doing so one handed while holding a fish and in quick enough time to be able to release the fish in good health. 

Pretty easy to do with a boat with livewells, but it’s quite a damper on the kayak guys. Am I wrong? And the truth is, is someone wants to cheat, they’re gonna cheat. Unless it’s cast to catch, a big fish can be caught on a conventional bait. I can get the code on tourney day and go to the lake with 10 friends and when someone catches a 7lber just get my pic taken with it. There’s a million ways of a person wants to cheat....

Cheaters will always cheat. I think you bring up a valid point, basically have to rewrite everything, pitting shore/kayak/boats against each other is not a level playing field. This might be possible to do, this is how change is brought about.

It's tough to put everyone on the same playing field though, isn't it? Unless there's a tournament for each fishing style category? "Unless it’s cast to catch, a big fish can be caught on a conventional bait" I'm sure there are people doing this now and just hang their swimbait in the fishes mouth. 

I get this for paid tourneys where guys are paying entry fees but either way it is what it is. Personally I feel the swimbair tourney should only be open to guys who post consistently or have a good trading feedback. At least then thered be a smaller chance of a random guy popping up with a "10"

Or you can let it flop around on the shore with rocks and dirt for 20 minutes.

All valid points but their house their rules. There are two options, do the tournaments or do not do the tournaments, up to you. I do not so them amymore for my reasons.

3 hours ago, Mossypumpkin said:

Yeah, I don't try and get photos of fish on a measuring board for that reason -  it's damn near impossible for me in a yak.  I see now where you have to show the scale being zero'd as well.  Sounds like maybe someone else questioned the validity of the teener's?

5 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

I was gonna say I don't even have one of them fancy measuring boards...not like I ever catch anything post-worthy during the tourneys anyways :D

Yeah, I have that little problem too! 

12 hours ago, bassbass said:

Or you can let it flop around on the shore with rocks and dirt for 20 minutes.

All valid points but their house their rules. There are two options, do the tournaments or do not do the tournaments, up to you. I do not so them amymore for my reasons.

Shake n bake. I am a shore banger but it drives me out of my mind when i see pics of bass covered head to tail in sand and debris.

No one should cheat!

But I guess it’s could happen...I think it’s our responsibility as community to bust them and called them out (Mike Long)

Documenting a fish from a kayak is a pain in the ass but it’s really not that bad from something slightly larger like a “Bass Buster”or Coleman crawdad

Kayaks and small watercraft can go where a lot of boats can’t- doing it very Stealthy... They can certainly be an advantage over say a bass boat in some situations 

IMO-With a high potential to catch a giant from shore it’s all pretty “Even Steven” as far as hooking and catching the actual fish...

But As far as “landing the fish and Documenting” it does feel a lot harder in a Kayak...Trying not to hook yourself in the Crotch too!

For me can be awkward as heck sitting down trying to net and manage a giant bass in a Kayak...Let alone put it on a board

And I own a Hobie Angler (Stand up) fish ability is awesome but I still prefer to land the fish sitting down in a yak...Maybe I’m doing it all wrong?

Kayaking can Certainly be one of the most exciting and fulfilling ways to Catch and Land a fish but there is MOST Definitely an art to it!

But then again the Float tube ain’t easy and I would hate to see a Giant “flop-off” a paddle board...Tight lines!

it's a free tournament so it's gonna be hard to complain about much!  and there's always going to be some cheaters in life, you can worry about others or worry about yourself...

buy a cal coast donkey leash for keeping the fish in the water and healthy while doing all the requirements for the submissions and you won't have to worry about keeping the fish out of the water too long.

21 hours ago, buzzed bait said:

...buy a cal coast donkey leash for keeping the fish in the water and healthy...

I've got a yak attack fish clip but don't like using it.  This seems like a much better product.  Didn't know it was out there- thanks!

22 hours ago, buzzed bait said:

buy a cal coast donkey leash for keeping the fish in the water and healthy while doing all the requirements for the submissions and you won't have to worry about keeping the fish out of the water too long.

This is on my list for the float tube for next season for sure. Probably get one for the crawdad too. They make some great products 

On 10/28/2020 at 8:00 AM, buzzed bait said:

Seems like just the thing I need. No more trying to balance fish on between my knees and waist on the pontoon, while twitching to keep the hooks out of the way, and fishing through the gear bags for camera and measuring tape.

Of course, when it comes to the tournament I consistently fail at Step #1: Catch a big fish!:lol:

7 hours ago, chefchris said:

This is on my list for the float tube for next season for sure. Probably get one for the crawdad too. They make some great products 

Love mine on my float tube I picked up another for when I beat the bank! No complaints just don’t beat them up on the rocks and you shouldn’t have issues.