Rod Blank Info

southpaw8

I’ve decided to try building a rod and would  love some input on rod blanks. I’d like something that can throw ~10ozs without too much issue but it would mainly be used for ~8oz hard baits. I would prefer to keep it around the 8ft mark if possible. I’m interested in the NFC SWB 809, but since 10oz is the max it’s rated for I’m afraid it might struggle. I’ve read good things about Phenix Black Diamond blanks on here but I’m lost on their lure ratings because they don’t list them. Any help or recommendations are appreciated. 

In terms of their rods, I've heard that NFCs can sometimes be underrated. But that's just from hearing and not from actual testing.

Check out some of the info here too.

Edited by PKNNH

This isn't a blank that I have used yet, but the Black Hole Challenger 801H is rated 4-10oz. If its anything like my surf II blank from them, I would expect it to be underrated. If you call them, they will be 100% open about the capabilities of their blanks.

5 hours ago, southpaw8 said:

I’ve decided to try building a rod and would  love some input on rod blanks. I’d like something that can throw ~10ozs without too much issue but it would mainly be used for ~8oz hard baits. I would prefer to keep it around the 8ft mark if possible. I’m interested in the NFC SWB 809, but since 10oz is the max it’s rated for I’m afraid it might struggle. I’ve read good things about Phenix Black Diamond blanks on here but I’m lost on their lure ratings because they don’t list them. Any help or recommendations are appreciated. 

I’ve made two swimbait rods out of the Phenix 809xhj and one out of the 909XHJ. If you’re going to be mostly in the 6oz to 8oz I’d go with the 809. If you want to live closer to 10oz then go with the 909 and depending on what you want you can always trim off the back. I make all my rods so I can fit them inside my truck cab and max I can do is 8’-8” so that’s what I max out my blanks at. There’s a lot of guys that I’ve talked to that throw the mother on the 809 though, so I think it’ll be great for what you want. I use mine all the time, one of my favorite blanks for fresh or salt and I’ll be making more of them for sure. 

I really appreciate all of the responses. I heard from an NFC rep today that said their 809 blank would handle 10oz with no issue as long as the bait is lobbed and not snapped. Little did he know I’m too nervous to snap cast my 2oz baits. Does anyone know what blanks LDC/Leviathan and the such use for their 8ft XXH heavy rods?

@Bass_blaster I really want to keep it close to 8ft. How much would you feel comfortable cutting off of a 906? 

19 minutes ago, southpaw8 said:

I really appreciate all of the responses. I heard from an NFC rep today that said their 809 blank would handle 10oz with no issue as long as the bait is lobbed and not snapped. Little did he know I’m too nervous to snap cast my 2oz baits. Does anyone know what blanks LDC/Leviathan and the such use for their 8ft XXH heavy rods?

@Bass_blaster I really want to keep it close to 8ft. How much would you feel comfortable cutting off of a 906? 

I’m pretty sure LDC, MOAM, F5 all use at least some Phenix blanks. My guess is they order enough that they’re getting custom blanks made though, so we wouldn’t have access to blanks with the exact same specs. 

as far as trimming down the 909, if I was going to make another and wanted it close to 8-ft I wouldn’t be scared to trim 12” off the butt on that one.it would make the bend a little more moderate as well which might be nice. I’ll see if I can take pics later of my 809 and 909 Both hanging a RM Mother and you can see what you think.

38 minutes ago, Bass_blaster said:

I’m pretty sure LDC, MOAM, F5 all use at least some Phenix blanks. My guess is they order enough that they’re getting custom blanks made though, so we wouldn’t have access to blanks with the exact same specs. 

as far as trimming down the 909, if I was going to make another and wanted it close to 8-ft I wouldn’t be scared to trim 12” off the butt on that one.it would make the bend a little more moderate as well which might be nice. I’ll see if I can take pics later of my 809 and 909 Both hanging a RM Mother and you can see what you think.

That would be great! I really appreciate all of your input. 

For what it’s worth... 

I picked up a North Fork composites 808 swimbait blank, getting it wrapped up as a calico stick. Compared it with a few sticks that my rod builder had, and it’s got pretty much the identical taper and bend of the old cousins 859 a lotta guys used to like. The rod is rated 1/2 - 8 but it’s looking like it’ll throw 10oz no problem.

9 hours ago, JeremyWrightt said:

For what it’s worth... 

I picked up a North Fork composites 808 swimbait blank, getting it wrapped up as a calico stick. Compared it with a few sticks that my rod builder had, and it’s got pretty much the identical taper and bend of the old cousins 859 a lotta guys used to like. The rod is rated 1/2 - 8 but it’s looking like it’ll throw 10oz no problem.

Thanks for the input. I think I’m going to try it out just to see what it can do. Worse case scenario, I have an extra rod. 

On 11/24/2020 at 5:49 PM, southpaw8 said:

That would be great! I really appreciate all of your input. 

Here are a couple pics of both rods hanging the RM Mother. Not much of a difference. I can notice it while holding them that the 909 is stronger than the 809, but it’s less noticeable in these pics than I expected. Either way you won’t go wrong if you chose one of these.

The one with a Tranx is the 909 and the conquest is the 809. 

7E751247-26FF-4F11-8607-8C85F7D6B82A.jpeg

D09E9E8C-D3B0-478F-A4BE-7F4F5FF706C7.jpeg

I’m pretty sure F5 designs his own blanks and then has them made by some Korean manufacturer, not certain though. MOAM, LDC, and Nef use Phenix blanks, Nef uses some Cousins blanks too. Nameless uses Taipan blanks, Leviathan uses North Fork blanks. Hope this helps. I would consider looking at Century rod blanks as well, specifically the striper series. I just got one of their SS946 blanks, haven’t built on it yet but it looks and feels pretty sick, though I don’t think they have a model that could consistently handle 10oz. Hope this helps

8 hours ago, Bass_blaster said:

Here are a couple pics of both rods hanging the RM Mother. Not much of a difference. I can notice it while holding them that the 909 is stronger than the 809, but it’s less noticeable in these pics than I expected. Either way you won’t go wrong if you chose one of these.

The one with a Tranx is the 909 and the conquest is the 809. 

7E751247-26FF-4F11-8607-8C85F7D6B82A.jpeg

D09E9E8C-D3B0-478F-A4BE-7F4F5FF706C7.jpeg

You’re the man! I love the mother as a test point! Have you actually thrown it on the 809? I decided to big the NFC 809.  It seemed like a great deal and worst case scenario mY son gets a free rod. 

1 hour ago, southpaw8 said:

You’re the man! I love the mother as a test point! Have you actually thrown it on the 809? I decided to big the NFC 809.  It seemed like a great deal and worst case scenario mY son gets a free rod. 

Yep. Ive thrown the mother on both rods but prefer it on the 909 because it’s slightly heavier and I like the extra length. The 809 is always with me tho, and typically it’s throwing a 250, ive even tossed the mothership on it a bit.

Based on feedback on NFC I think you’ll be pleased with it, they make some nice stuff. One day I’ll make some of those also  

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps this will help. I took a video of me casting the 250 on my newly built 809. I really like the blank. I generally lob cast my baits anyways. It would be interesting to toss a 10oz bait on this blank. I don’t have any intentions of going bigger then the 250. This is my 4th NFC SWB blank (806, 807x2, and 809) I can’t recommend building one enough

2E4108B4-3FC6-4FD3-83FF-8BE50BCBEE8E.jpeg