DRT Ghost Reviews

Cranky

It’s a really well thought out bait. There are a couple things that I think contribute to people getting them and selling them soon after.

Some of the reasons people sell them soon after getting them are that there are an overwhelming number of ways to fish it, that it’s an enormous bait and a very expensive bait.

If you take the time and experiment with all of the different ways to fish it I almost guarantee you will find a way that fits you’re needs and style of fishing.

As for fishing it I’ve caught fish using it in each of its modes. My favorite being the glide mode, which is when you install the joint pads and trim them slightly with the v tail in and no lip.

I hope my rant is of use to you and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. 

Best of luck!

1FAA3EA0-CAC1-47DB-8404-C321E547850C.jpeg

ABC73678-7166-4AE1-A6F5-66D65C14DD12.jpeg

9B3F08C8-2B32-4A33-A31E-DC3C8492B2BE.jpeg

I’ve only fished it from shore so far but with the deep lip in cranking I’d estimate it gets down 15ft+ on a long cast and with the roll lip I backwards probably around 10ft.

I currently have it set up to float in glide mode, and gets down a few feet under the surface.  

Also need to have a reel that can pick up the slack the bait makes on its movements.

If your reel is to slow you will have to do double time on rod/reeling and makes for a quick change to another bait after you are tired! Ask me how I know!

34" LPT is the ticket, another reason why the Japanese guys use the Abu beast 40 it's 34" LPT is alot cheaper than a conquest and the other more expensive reels. Just my .02.

So here's my notes from when i fished mine, i only got 3-4 trips in my it, no fish, but a couple of hits and a bunch of followers, excited to throw it a lot this season, as I picked up some other lips and made a few myself, with the roll lip i bottomed it out in 18' of water on a sandy bottom, it gets down fast and stays down. I'm super stoked to fish this bait a lot this season. Also for a big bait it actually casts surprisingly well and far, due to the fact that almost all the weight is in the front section of the bait so the tail sections just follow it on the casts. It casts way further and easier than the bubba cracker for being twice the length and close to the same weight. 

Ghost Notes
Both baits rigged with 3/0 Mustad KVD Triple Grip Elite Hooks (3) and Rosco Size 5.5 Rings, no lip used on both for below notes. 

Fished on a Nameless 868 Custom Rod, Shimano Conquest 18 with 65lb Power Pro Super Slick 8 attached to an 18” 30lb. mono leader. 

Bass, no bumpers

1.Top line tie, whale tail up. Wakes from dead slow to fast

2.Bottom line tie, whale tail up. Wakes from dead slow to fast, with more body and head roll than the top line tie. Bigger wake

3.Top line tie, whale tail down. Barely wakes, just under the surface, more of a snake “s” movement

4.Bottom line tie, whale tail down. Wakes, tighter swim. Tail section down

5.Top line tie, V tail short tip on top. Wakes, smoother swim but not as big of a v wake as the whale tail

6.Bottom line tie, V tail short tip on top. Wakes, smoother swim but not as big of a v wake as the whale tail, couldn’t see any real difference. 

7.Top line tie, V tail long tip top, fast retrieve wakes, makes bubble trails. Same action as in the drt video when fished along the shallow shoreline

8.Bottom line tie, V tail long tip top, fast retrieve wakes, makes bubble trails. Same action as in the drt video when fished along the shallow shoreline, but fishes easier, less work to get same results as #7

Trout with bumpers, cut as directions suggest that came with the bait
Repeated same setups as bass

1.Top line tie, whale tail up. No action on straight retrieve. Worked it with reel pumps and it twitches side to side like a dying trout ran 3-4’ deep? 

2 Bottom line tie, whale tail up. Same as #1 but with more of a rolling/dying fish action

3.Top line tie, whale tail down. Swims down 1-2’, walks & swims really nice with reel twitches, glide cadence 

4.Bottom line tie, whale tail down. Swims down 2-3’, walks & swims really nice with reel twitches, glide cadence. Got two hits on this retrieve. 

5.Top line tie, V tail short tip on top. Walks sick, reel handle and rod pops make it swim down 2’ and walk in place action. 

6.Bottom line tie, V tail short tip on top. Same as #5 but with more roll to the whole bait. 

7.Top line tie, V tail long tip top. Like #5 but less action, tail straighter

8.Bottom line tie, V tail long tip top. Like #6 but less action, tail straighter

Hope that helps some people cut the learning curve down. 

you can also install the stock lip in backwards which makes into a wake that will push thru weeds/pads, has a lot of resistance but another option 

another thing you can do is take that TK and Klash lips and add a thin piece of plastic to the back of it where it slips into the bait and modify the lips, you need em to be super snug but another option to get even more out of this bait. 

4 hours ago, Cranky said:

Can anyone compare the freestyle action to a Triple Trout or 3:16? Also does the bait rattle? 

no rattles.

i think the 316 freestyle has one of the most impressive swims ever

The TT is tighter action 

The ghost is different than both of those but similar characteristics action wise

What rod(s) are yall throwing the ghosts' on? My only xh swimbait rod is 3 to 8oz. Was looking at the daiwa dx XH rod 3 to 10oz,since this is the only swimbait i have that weighs more than 6oz .didnt want to break the bank . Was also looking at the irod 795 jumbo (8to10oz), the  XL swim or the baileys swim. Any suggestions would be appreciated.