Abu Revo Rocket or Tatula 300XL?

AndZ

I am debating what reel to get for big baits with large gliding area, such as the DRT Ghost in mode G. I tried it yesterday for the first time and man, the Tranx 401 is slow and can't keep up with its gliding capabilities.

I waited 2 months for a Tatula 300HL 7.1:1 to arrive from the U.S., looks like it was the seller's fault, since eBay refunded the purchase. Somehow it was for the better since it looks like I need the fastest retrieving reel out there, with 43" or more. So far, the Tatula 300XL fits the bill and the Revo Rocked (the red one), same IPT, but different gear ratios and weights. The Rocket is lighter and faster gear ratio, probably to make up for the smaller spool diameter.

Durability-wise which one would be better?

Comfort-wise the Rocket is lighter and prolly smaller in hands.

Price-wise, the Rocket is around $300, while I can find the Tatula for less.

If you are throwing a Ghost you’ll need at least a 300 size reel (I would recommend a 400). A Revo Rocket would not last at all. I throw my Ghost on a Toro Rocket, which is the 400 size version of the Rocket. It has 42 IPT. 

E0336FEF-85A5-4EE3-B817-5D4E0E69622A.jpeg

I fish my ghosts on tranx 401 HG and 301HG. Both have 39 ipt. The wider spool is just is more consistent in speed through out the whole cast. The 300 starts off a little slower and gains more speed towards the end of the retrieve. Decided to put a 150mm varial handle on the 401 to have more mechanical leverage for baits with a lot of water resistance. It does well for cranking as well as gliding the ghost. 

Have considered going with a faster reel but it's hard to beat the durability of the tranx. 

IMG_20210131_185214_985.jpg

Thanks for all the inputs. I just bought (ordered) a Tatula 300XSL, the 8.1:1 gear ratio with 43" IPT. I was looking at the Revo Rocket 41, the bigger size, but it is hard to find and it's pricier than the deal I got the Tatula for in Europe.

The Tranx 401 I got is the 5.8:1 gear ratio version. Its definitely solid but it lacks the speed, so I'll keep it for other baits. Man, that Ghost in Glide-mode can glide a lot towards you!