Big glide bait rod

Jdcampbell

Hey everyone! So I’m looking for a rod that can handle big, treble bait glides & swimmers (5-7 oz). I already have a couple rods that “could” handle it but find them less than ideal. My Dobyns 806 feels way to soft to throw comfortably and my Miller Rods DreamFreak (7’10” Chris, 3-8oz) feels like it is too stiff for trebles. Sooo, I’m thinking I need a Dobyns 867. What do y’all think? Will the Dobyns 867 be ideal for 5-7oz treble baits?

Little more info. I fish deep (10-30’) clear water (10-15’ visibility). These fish come a long way to see these baits. Most the time they don’t get on it till about 5-10’ from the boat. My Miller launches them with ease but seems to stiff to keep them pinned 5-10’ from the boat (not super parabolic. I’m wanting something that can launch the bait with “ease” but is still parabolic enough to hook them and keep them pinned close to the bout. Hope this helps. I’m new here so I apologize if this topic has already been beat to death.

2 hours ago, Jdcampbell said:

I was considering that rod as well. My neighbor brought over his LDC Heavy and it felt pretty good.

All of the white labels are amazing rods. The xh is rated at 3-8oz with a sweet spot at 4-7oz. I fish soft baits and hard baits on it and it does both really well. 

9 hours ago, t_huff99 said:

Can’t believe you think the MillerRods is to stiff! That 710Xh is parabolic with only 3 pound smallies

No ish! I’m purely going off feel. Very hard to find people’s experience with it. I’m glad you chimes in. So you feel it keeps them pinned pretty well? They say they got a multi load to them but maybe it’s hard to tell without catching one. Only used it once and hooked one while “balaming””8 trap” with a Balam 300. He got off but only had about 1-1/2’ line out.

17 hours ago, DrewManFishing said:

Ben from lowdown specifically says the XH is the perfect deps 250 rod. I have one, literally flawless. Thats the rod you are looking for! 

I’ll definitely have to look into one of those. I felt the H and it felt pretty good

2 hours ago, Jdcampbell said:

No ish! I’m purely going off feel. Very hard to find people’s experience with it. I’m glad you chimes in. So you feel it keeps them pinned pretty well? They say they got a multi load to them but maybe it’s hard to tell without catching one. Only used it once and hooked one while “balaming””8 trap” with a Balam 300. He got off but only had about 1-1/2’ line out.

Yeah I love it, no giants but the bend on even dinks is great and I throw the sly guy 9” replica on it. Loads up and bombs it a mile. In my opinion it’s super parabolic without being a noodle on the upper end of the weight range.