86 Baits Doomrider

jkarol24

Swimbait Review: 86 Baits Doomrider Glide

The Doomrider Glide by 86 Baits is a 2 piece resin Glide, coming in at a manageable 7" and 2.6 oz. The bait also features a printed-style finish, offering the realistic look of a wrap without the added bulk. This particular scheme (Definetly not TD3, it's Threadfin) is finished with a thin matte clear, but I have seen others with a glossy look. Not to be left out, rotating hangers and soft fins/tail round out the build. Sink rate is listed as slow sink, but I'd put in more towards the xss category. Retail on these are $175.

On the straight retrieve, the Doomrider swims in what I refer to as a Slalom style, with smooth back and forth action that glides through the water versus fighting the water. This style tends to have less head turn, and therefore less thump as well. The bait maintained stability and was fluid and natural from slow all the way to about medium fast. The bait does not love a burn, but some speed can be added. On a slow to crawl speed, the Doomrider continues to maintain action, with the bait getting slightly more side to side action than that moderate retrieve. On any case, the bait stays at the initial depth, usually not much deeper than the splash down. 

Imparting some reel on rod inputs moves the bait away from the slalom style, and gives some horizontal action. Slow and lazy reel bumps were first, and the bait was able to Glide about a foot to foot and a half in either direction. On the transitions, the bait loops as opposed to cuts, and straightens out to allow the glide distance. The bait stayed upright and stable, unless i gave an excessively long input in which case a slight nose down occurred.  

Feel free to also speed the Doomrider up, with some choppy reel pumps. This tends to alter the transitions from a loop to more of a cut, and causes the bait to shoot in either direction. I enjoyed varying my chop force and duration within the retrieve, giving an erratic and varying action. As well, 2 quick pumps followed by a slower bump gave the bait a back and forth stutter followed by a shooting Glide, which gave a natural fleeing look to the bait. 

You can also employ the rod tip to make the cuts and glides even faster, twitching downward with force but in a short stroke. The bait will turn back and forth quickly, and also give some flash, but you do sacrifice some of the glide distance as would be expected with this style of retrieve... 

I chose to throw the 86 Baits Doomrider on a Leviathan Heavy (custom 7 ft 9) paired with a Curado 300 and 20 Lb Copoly. You could very easily go to a lighter setup, but I wouldn't go much heavier. Too stiff of a rod will hurt the action of the bait. Feel free to also expirament with mono, fluro, or braid to  alter depth as well as input impact on the bait. 

Enjoy your last Sunday before Thanksgiving, and I hope you all have some plans to get out fishing at some point for the long holiday weekend. See you next week for another video. 

• 2 years later...
On 11/28/2021 at 12:45 PM, Bugletube said:

How would you say it compares to a chad shad or dockrat glide? I’m comparing a few shad baits at the moment and would like to know if there is a pattern you have consistently had good success with

I can't answer you exactly, but I can say that out of all my shad baits a few stand out. HPH, OG Texas Glide, and the Doomrider. It is a machine. Like I consider it the bait to pick up when I give up throwing my Hinkle Trout and Deps 250 and I just want some numbers. The one down side is the tails fall apart faster than I can find replacements. Late reply, but hopefully it can help someone out.