Stinger hooks on smaller baits?

monkeysb_

I always used to put stinger hooks on smaller soft baits like a hudd 68 and such but recently stopped fishing them that way. I know most people will run stingers on bigger baits like 8-10” Hudds and magnums because of their size but I feel like it could be a bit overkill and possibly harmful to the fish for baits 7” and under. Thoughts?

On 2/4/2022 at 8:09 PM, monkeysb_ said:

I always used to put stinger hooks on smaller soft baits like a hudd 68 and such but recently stopped fishing them that way. I know most people will run stingers on bigger baits like 8-10” Hudds and magnums because of their size but I feel like it could be a bit overkill and possibly harmful to the fish for baits 7” and under. Thoughts?

When I first started throwing Swimbaits, I used to put stingers on the Hudd Gill, but very small stingers. I ain’t gonna lie, I used to wear them out on the Hudd Gill that way. I just can’t get a good hook up on them the regular way. I love the way they swim, but that small stinger comes in handy. I caught quiet a few spotted bass on them. 

On 2/6/2022 at 9:25 PM, iFishLA said:

When I first started throwing Swimbaits, I used to put stingers on the Hudd Gill, but very small stingers. I ain’t gonna lie, I used to wear them out on the Hudd Gill that way. I just can’t get a good hook up on them the regular way. I love the way they swim, but that small stinger comes in handy. I caught quiet a few spotted bass on them. 

I never was able to get a good hook up ratio on the weedless 68 even on fish 5+ lbs …. The ones I did land seemed like the nait would just fall out once I landed them

13 minutes ago, BASS_SWINGER said:

I never was able to get a good hook up ratio on the weedless 68 even on fish 5+ lbs …. The ones I did land seemed like the nait would just fall out once I landed them

It’s ashamed because they swim so good! 

6 minutes ago, BASS_SWINGER said:

Really though I could’ get the most vicious strikes set the hook even with braid and you get a few turns if the handle and gone….I will say I have had better luck with the weedless Shad they have

Never tried it. Is that the tiny ones? I thought about buying a bunch and rigging the ultimate umbrella rig! Lol

Edited by iFishLA

2 hours ago, BASS_SWINGER said:

Really though I could’ get the most vicious strikes set the hook even with braid and you get a few turns if the handle and gone….I will say I have had better luck with the weedless Shad they have

I really like their weedless shad but my only problem is it’s too small for my liking. 

3 hours ago, BASS_SWINGER said:

Never tried the weedless 68. Always been worried about the hookup ratio.

The most important thing with the 68 is making sure that the hook tip is exposed. Just like Mike recommends with the citizens,  bend that hook up just enough that it catches if you run your finger by it. I have had a near 100% hookup ratio on fish bigger than 12"

On 2/5/2022 at 5:39 PM, monkeysb_ said:

I live in the north so we don’t have a lot of those lol

Yes we do lol. I live in Maine. A two pounder will fold an 8” in half when inhaling it or it will grab the head. I’ve watched fish inhale the whole thing. It’s nothing but a mental block thinking they can’t. I’ve caught two pound smallies on the 8” weedless. I now only fish weedless hudds. Gill, 6”, 68, and 8”. I don’t bend the hook up and don’t mod them in any way. Stuck my 4th biggest fish ever two years ago on the 68 weedless. 

5DDAAF3E-EDCB-4B14-89DF-903EAAD4BC19.jpeg

• 3 months later...
On 2/10/2022 at 5:22 AM, Mossypumpkin said:

Yes we do lol. I live in Maine. A two pounder will fold an 8” in half when inhaling it or it will grab the head. I’ve watched fish inhale the whole thing. It’s nothing but a mental block thinking they can’t. I’ve caught two pound smallies on the 8” weedless. I now only fish weedless hudds. Gill, 6”, 68, and 8”. I don’t bend the hook up and don’t mod them in any way. Stuck my 4th biggest fish ever two years ago on the 68 weedless. 

5DDAAF3E-EDCB-4B14-89DF-903EAAD4BC19.jpeg

I agree. I am on Vancouver Island and fish for Smallmouth 99% of the time. You do not need stingers on a 6" bait with a trout profile. The fish you really want will inhale a bait that size.