Swimbait Garage Hypershad

jkarol24

Swimbait Review: Swimbait Garage Hypershad

What's up, happy sunday! Today's video and Review features a relatively new maker to the scene, Swimbait Garage, and their Hypershad has gained some attention through various cast to catch videos on some swimbait platforms. I was able to purchase a blank a few months back, and found some time to get it on film. 

The Hypershad is a 2 pc resin Glide bait, featuring a bristle-style tail. The bait weighs in at 2.3 oz (somewhere between ss and xss) and is 6.5" in length. The particular bait on video is a blank, so consider that paint will add a slight bit of weight and a small increase in sink rate. 

Our standard straight retrieve is characterized by a fast back and forth head hunt, with fast turns and a bit of body roll on the transitions. This bait isn't quite what I would define as a Slalom type swim, as the joint is a bit looser, but it finds a happy medium between a Slalom swim and more of the choppy variety (choppier swims tend to have a 45 degree head hunt off center, this one certainly has less turn). The bait maintains depth relatively well, with a slight rise on those longer casts, and provides a consistent swim throughout the retrieve.  

As we move on to the burn, the Hypershad shows its stability as it moves along in a consistent manner at a full burn. You will notice a slight kick and pause halfway back to the boat, and this was because I was burning so hard that my hand slipped off the handle. Whoops! In any manner, the bait had no issues burning near the surface. 

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Hypershad will maintain its ability to swim at a crawl speed, and I notices the swim became wider, with the head of the bait allowed to travel further off center than the faster retrieve speeds. I did notice some rise to the bait at this slower speed, and I was also able to wake the bait with higher rod position. 

Moving on to reel inputs, I first started with slow and lazy inputs. I did find that this particular retrieve causes the bait to rise to the surface, but it did maintain its swim and didn't lay over on its side. You can achieve a back and forth wake with this particular input with a little practice, and could be an interesting topwater application. 

However, I found that the bait lived up to its name, and performed best with firm and fast reel inputs. On hard chops, the bait cuts and turns hard, with a decent bit of glide distance if you provide some slack immediately after the reel chop. There again is some body roll on the transitions, but the bait didn't lose stability or depth. The angler can either choose to use varied chops and pauses to get an erratic and unpredictable swim, or you can also turn and glide the bait in a consistent manner. Overall, the bait follows whichever input is provided, and is quite controllable in this manner. I provided 3 or 4 cast and retrieves using slightly different firm inputs, and also added some burns as well as pauses. 

However way you choose to utilize those form inputs, I found the bait to maintain stability, and easily transition between the various inputs. I also found that the bait maintains depth much more consistently with these harder and faster chops and pumps, and the bait stayed at the depth at which I began the retrieve. This is true until you begin to let the bait sink down to a greater depth, at which time it will rise throughout the retrieve as it works back to the angler. 

I threw the bait on a heavier setup than needed, which included a KGB Heavy, Curado 300E, and 20 lb copoly. As I spend more time with the bait, I expect to expirament with throwing this bait on a heavy conventional setup, for instance a Donyns 734C, curado 200E, and 16 lb FC Sniper fluorocarbon. Something like a light swimbait rod (Leviathan Finesse, Dobyns 795, etc) would also be a fine choice. Line wise, I'd recommend a copoly or fluro to keep the bait down, especially if using those slower inputs. I'd imagine the bait will handle braid, but I did not test this theory. 

Thanks for joining along, and hope you enjoyed the review! As always, I appreciate your continued support! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 3:49 PM, jkarol24 said:

Swimbait Review: Swimbait Garage Hypershad

What's up, happy sunday! Today's video and Review features a relatively new maker to the scene, Swimbait Garage, and their Hypershad has gained some attention through various cast to catch videos on some swimbait platforms. I was able to purchase a blank a few months back, and found some time to get it on film. 

The Hypershad is a 2 pc resin Glide bait, featuring a bristle-style tail. The bait weighs in at 2.3 oz (somewhere between ss and xss) and is 6.5" in length. The particular bait on video is a blank, so consider that paint will add a slight bit of weight and a small increase in sink rate. 

Our standard straight retrieve is characterized by a fast back and forth head hunt, with fast turns and a bit of body roll on the transitions. This bait isn't quite what I would define as a Slalom type swim, as the joint is a bit looser, but it finds a happy medium between a Slalom swim and more of the choppy variety (choppier swims tend to have a 45 degree head hunt off center, this one certainly has less turn). The bait maintains depth relatively well, with a slight rise on those longer casts, and provides a consistent swim throughout the retrieve.  

As we move on to the burn, the Hypershad shows its stability as it moves along in a consistent manner at a full burn. You will notice a slight kick and pause halfway back to the boat, and this was because I was burning so hard that my hand slipped off the handle. Whoops! In any manner, the bait had no issues burning near the surface. 

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Hypershad will maintain its ability to swim at a crawl speed, and I notices the swim became wider, with the head of the bait allowed to travel further off center than the faster retrieve speeds. I did notice some rise to the bait at this slower speed, and I was also able to wake the bait with higher rod position. 

Moving on to reel inputs, I first started with slow and lazy inputs. I did find that this particular retrieve causes the bait to rise to the surface, but it did maintain its swim and didn't lay over on its side. You can achieve a back and forth wake with this particular input with a little practice, and could be an interesting topwater application. 

However, I found that the bait lived up to its name, and performed best with firm and fast reel inputs. On hard chops, the bait cuts and turns hard, with a decent bit of glide distance if you provide some slack immediately after the reel chop. There again is some body roll on the transitions, but the bait didn't lose stability or depth. The angler can either choose to use varied chops and pauses to get an erratic and unpredictable swim, or you can also turn and glide the bait in a consistent manner. Overall, the bait follows whichever input is provided, and is quite controllable in this manner. I provided 3 or 4 cast and retrieves using slightly different firm inputs, and also added some burns as well as pauses. 

However way you choose to utilize those form inputs, I found the bait to maintain stability, and easily transition between the various inputs. I also found that the bait maintains depth much more consistently with these harder and faster chops and pumps, and the bait stayed at the depth at which I began the retrieve. This is true until you begin to let the bait sink down to a greater depth, at which time it will rise throughout the retrieve as it works back to the angler. 

I threw the bait on a heavier setup than needed, which included a KGB Heavy, Curado 300E, and 20 lb copoly. As I spend more time with the bait, I expect to expirament with throwing this bait on a heavy conventional setup, for instance a Donyns 734C, curado 200E, and 16 lb FC Sniper fluorocarbon. Something like a light swimbait rod (Leviathan Finesse, Dobyns 795, etc) would also be a fine choice. Line wise, I'd recommend a copoly or fluro to keep the bait down, especially if using those slower inputs. I'd imagine the bait will handle braid, but I did not test this theory. 

Thanks for joining along, and hope you enjoyed the review! As always, I appreciate your continued support! 

You don't think it would be too much for the Leviathan Bait Finesse?