44 Mag Lure Retriever

DrewManFishing

Out of all of the tools I use to target big bass, the 44 mag lure retriever is the most important for me.  When I started swimbaiting I couldn’t bring myself to spend 40 dollars on a bait knocker when I could buy more baits with that money… but boy was I wrong. This knocker has opened up spots and depths for me to fish that I was never comfortable with before. For the past 3 months I have lost 0 hudds, Fishing them in the thickest trees, brush piles, and nasty rocks. Every time I go out I get snagged multiple times, and have easily saved many hundreds of dollars with this thing. 
       There are a bunch of different rigging methods people do for attaching rope/ line to their knockers and I have been doing the same thing Mike Gilbert does. I’ll link the video below of where he talks about his method. Super cheap and easy- about $5 at Home Depot. 

9BBD39DC-1AC0-44CB-AEA4-5334E9E373E9.jpeg

17140CB3-4DFF-47FB-A4CC-78A337045B24.jpeg

Good info thanks for the post.  I purchased one of these knockers over the winter for use this season.  I was looking around for the best rigging option.  Line type and size, knot for attachment, line spool etc.  

That contraption from Home Depot do you know what its called?  And what's that line type and strength that comes on it?  As the knocker does not have a D-ring on it for tying to what knot did you use for attaching the line?  

The knocker packaging recommends "trot braided line at least 100#".  Found some Berkley at 50# I'm guessing would be fine but maybe higher is safer.  

Thanks again was just looking for some tips to set this up right the first time rather than trial-and-error several different things.  

Also wouldn't want to get some line tied with some 'xyz' knot that I don't realize it slips until the first time I need to use the knocker later in the season ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 hour ago, BASS_SWINGER said:

Is the 44 really worth it compared to basic basspro cheap one? Honestly have recovered 100% of my snags with the bps one some may take longer than others but they are coming out eventually 

Can’t say anything about the bass pro one because I’ve never used it, but the 44 mag is the best of the best. Designed specifically for big baits. Not sure if the bass pro one is designed for big baits or how heavy it is. 

2 hours ago, wtrwsel said:

The best thing I have found is a 30 ft retractable dog leash. Get the heavy duty kind. That thing has saved many a swimbait and AL Rig. retracts quickly and gets you back fishing.  

Cool idea, only problem with that is when I’m deeper than 30 feet, which is often. 

23 hours ago, CAS said:

Good info thanks for the post.  I purchased one of these knockers over the winter for use this season.  I was looking around for the best rigging option.  Line type and size, knot for attachment, line spool etc.  

That contraption from Home Depot do you know what its called?  And what's that line type and strength that comes on it?  As the knocker does not have a D-ring on it for tying to what knot did you use for attaching the line?  

The knocker packaging recommends "trot braided line at least 100#".  Found some Berkley at 50# I'm guessing would be fine but maybe higher is safer.  

Thanks again was just looking for some tips to set this up right the first time rather than trial-and-error several different things.  

Also wouldn't want to get some line tied with some 'xyz' knot that I don't realize it slips until the first time I need to use the knocker later in the season ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-18-in-x-425-ft-Pink-Twisted-Polypropylene-Mason-Twine-with-Reloadable-Winder-72585/206094287?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-315846126-_-206094287-_-N 

https://youtu.be/yKbAMVzCVaM 

On 2/10/2022 at 9:32 AM, CAS said:

It's a string line used for layout on construction jobs it's strong if you pull hard enough it will cut your hands before breaking

I have one of these as well...100% success rate so far and super happy with it.  Way more effective than the little red plug knocker things.  Even if you're not fishing big baits, those Vision 110s, LV500s, or deep cranks aren't cheap and you make your money back on this real quick.  Don't forget to carry some spare trebles!

On 2/11/2022 at 8:50 AM, DrewManFishing said:

thanks for sharing link on this thing .. i just bought a lure retriever of some dude on facebook  Frank Toothy

On 2/12/2022 at 5:12 PM, Mml420 said:

It's a string line used for layout on construction jobs it's strong if you pull hard enough it will cut your hands before breaking

I break them all the time pulling them taut string lining long soffits. Use the spool but ditch the pink/yellow line. 

On 2/14/2022 at 12:58 PM, Dodgerdogg805 said:

thanks for sharing link on this thing .. i just bought a lure retriever of some dude on facebook  Frank Toothy

I think the Original 44 Mags were built by Frank Toothy.  These have been around for years and really are the best, and worth the money.  Cool to see he's making them regularly now to be at TW. 

On 2/22/2022 at 1:42 PM, Dodgerdogg805 said:

what line do you recommend ?

Right this was my original question also.  The packaging recommends 100# braided trot line.  Not sure that’s necessary so was looking for experience out there. 

note the Gilbert video looks like he’s just using the original pink line on that Home Depot spool. 

1 hour ago, thebeardedbassman said:

I think the Original 44 Mags were built by Frank Toothy.  These have been around for years and really are the best, and worth the money.  Cool to see he's making them regularly now to be at TW. 

Nevermind, Phil was the guy I believe..... my bad.