Need opinions on rods

Bassmaster153

Spiralite Maverick Series. 8' Models have 14" handles and 8'3 and 8'6 models have a 15" handle. Multiple taper options, 30ton Japanese Toray blanks, spiraled guides, alps components. 109-119$ retail they are definitely worth a look 

BadChad1983 regarding the Dobyns 795 I personally feel comfortable throwing lures in the 1.5 to 4 oz range. I also fish the 867 , though rated a lot higher I feel it's sweet spot is about 4 to 6.5 ounces.

Primus- I actually just bought a fury 795 for throwing lighter stuff. Man I love this rod. It's so much lighter than my okuma (yes I know one is an xh and one a med heavy) but you can just tell from the moment you grab it that it's a rod for people who aren't in general new to fishing as it has the feel of a MUCH more expensive rod. Or at least what I would expect a more expensive rod to feel like only having 2 to compare each other to.

The Fury 795 is a great rod. I bashed Dobyn's pretty hard mostly due to tactical bassin confussin me to no end thinking I needed another rod for EVERY swimbait I bought. In retrospect I'm glad I bought the Okuma first to take the beginner's beating and now I can appreciate the fury 795 properly. 

Basically the Okuma feels like an entry level rod and the Dobyn's Fury feels like a step up in quality at the same price. The Okuma you can beat on and the Dobyn's you definitely shouldn't. I feel like I got a great deal getting a new Fury 795 for $90.

I'm pretty skeptical that a daiwa dx series would feel as "high end" as the fury 795. I suspect the irod could just because of Matt Newman's reputation, but haven't heard people say glowing things about their irods either...

Being a beginner I think it would be wise to put beginners in to two groups based on geography. Those with Florida strain bass (or any bass over 10lbs realistically) and those that don't have them to make it simple.

Where I'm at in Iowa with Northern strain bass where breaking 5 pounds (legit on a scale) it would be a big deal. If I could do it over again I'd get the Fury 795 and an assortment of hudd gills, hammer tails, real prey gills and several real prey perch, on up to the 6 inch hudds and 68s. I've been fishing the 8 inch hudd almost exclusively the past week with one maybe bite. I catch lots of fish between 16 and 19 inches on 6 inch hudds/68s/hudd or real prey gills. That's what I should have focused on and learned on. There just aren't that many 5+ pound bass where I'm at. The DNR told me it's notable for them to shock up anything over 6 pounds...

However... if I was a beginner in a state with Florida strain or F1, or where sticking a 7+lb bass is common then I think going with an 806 would be a better choice. You could learn (you have more to learn than you know) on the 6 inch hudd and then have a capable stick for the 8 inch hudd as well. Not to mention a stick for trebles, etc.

If you're that worried about the mod-fast action and sticking a fish on a hudd go watch STE.  If you're still worried learn the FG knot, learn it very very well, and fish braid to leader or just straight braid if night fishing and spend A LOT of time practicing your hook set. I'd bet the vast majority of experienced SU members would have zero problem sticking a fish on an 8 inch hudd while fishing good ol big game and an old round reel if they had to, if for nothing more than to show us noobs it can be done no problem.

Sorry for the rant but for those of you in the know what are your thoughts on the HUDD ROD that Huddleston came out with? I'm definitely going on up to a spiral wrap rod for my next stick (an 8'6 won't fit into my current vehicle unfortunately, but an 8'3 would) and am curious if I would get the same sort of "custom" experience fishing a Hudd Rod as I would say buying a production issue LDC? I think I already know the answer to this question (just buy the LDC or MOAM and don't outthink yourself) but thought it was worth asking since the Hudd Rod is the only production spiral wrap swimbait rod that I know of that is easy to find and buy.

I suspect the irod could just because of Matt Newman's reputation, but haven't heard people say glowing things about their irods either...

Sorry for the rant but for those of you in the know what are your thoughts on the HUDD ROD that Huddleston came out with? I'm definitely going on up to a spiral wrap rod for my next stick (an 8'6 won't fit into my current vehicle unfortunately, but an 8'3 would) and am curious if I would get the same sort of "custom" experience fishing a Hudd Rod as I would say buying a production issue LDC? I think I already know the answer to this question (just buy the LDC or MOAM and don't outthink yourself) but thought it was worth asking since the Hudd Rod is the only production spiral wrap swimbait rod that I know of that is easy to find and buy.

You realize the Hudd rod was built by Matt Newman of IROD? And was built to throw the hudd specifically..

• 5 months later...

is the 795 fury a split grip?? i have the Daiwa DXSB XXH and throw spro rats and 6 inch hudds and it is a broomstick. The only thing i like about it is the extra long 23 inch butt grip