Anyone Near Cocoa Beach FL?

northeast_trev

i'll be down there for a week beginning of January and am trying to figure out my best options. Doesn't seem like shore casting will be all that hot in January, and i don't have $400 for a charter lol. 

Anyone in the general Space Coast area that fishes for bass? There are LOTS of small residential ponds near where i'll be staying so i guess i can try those out, just don't want to get snapped up by a Gator.

My concerns for freshwater are- Is the vegetation mostly turned over at that point? and am i being a wuss about the Alligators? Any advice would be appreciated!

Dude, pretty much every subdivision pond in the state of Florida over a couple acres that has held water for more than 5 years has an 8+ lb bass swimming around in it somewhere! Same goes for farm ponds and city park lakes. Find something weedless or run something above the weeds and get chucking

I am a lot more wary of pet dogs than I would ever be of gators. Unless they have been fed by residents they should not bother you. Just don't do something dumb like dangle fish/food for them or wade with fish on a stringer etc etc etc. Also try casting a floating frog or a nice swimbait/wakebait next to their snout and see what happens  :mrgreen:

thanks for the tips. I'm planning on bringing some 5 6 and 7 inch Keitech's with some underspin hooks, a rat, and maybe something else. Not bringing the big stick with me though so slightly limited. 

Looks like if i can get a bicycle for a few days i'll be able to hit about 20 ponds in my area  :shock:

• 1 month later...

i'll close the loop here for anyone that is interested.

spent the week fishing two small ponds in the development i was in, plus a few others in the area. Caught bass every day i was there, nothing over 3lb though. Most retention ponds around there have an aggressive weed treatment program that prevents cover from growing up, made the conditions a little tough. FL had a bit of a cold front the first few days i was there but the sun came out for the last few and i was able to bag 3 or 4 daily. 

Ended up bringing a reel down with me, and picked up a cheap BPS cranking rod. Spent the week throwing 4.8" Keitech's. Next time down there i'll be bringing the SB's and hunting for some ponds with heavy veg. Either way, got my first FL strain largies  :shock:

Edited by northeast_trev