Hinkle Trout Rod: Dobyns 908 vs Leviathan XXH

Rice509

Don’t sleep on the 908. The first time I put my Hinkle Trout on full send, I had to thumb it hard and pull the rod back to keep it from landing in tree limbs across a cove I fish often. Never had a bait come close to covering that distance before I got my 908. Heck, I throw a Moby on it and so does the maker. I can’t speak for the Leviathan or Omega since I’ve never used one. But the 908 is a brute. 

Edited by SVT THUNDER
Grammer

11 minutes ago, SVT THUNDER said:

Don’t sleep on the 908. The first time I put my Hinkle Trout on full send, I had to thumb it hard and pull the rod back to keep it from landing in tree limbs across a cove I fish often. Never had a bait come close to covering that distance before I got my 908. Heck, I throw a Moby on it and so does the maker. I can’t speak for the Leviathan or Omega since I’ve never used one. But the 908 is a brute. 

That’s exactly some of the feedback I’ve seen, but then I’ve also read info where people say otherwise. I wonder if it comes down to personal stature, strength, etc?

I  pre-ordered the Leviathan Omega XXH, but I’ll also see if anyone in my area has the 908 I can check out for future knowledge. Thanks for the reply!! 

1 minute ago, Rice509 said:

That’s exactly some of the feedback I’ve seen, but then I’ve also read info where people say otherwise. I wonder if it comes down to personal stature, strength, etc?

I  pre-ordered the Leviathan Omega XXH, but I’ll also see if anyone in my area has the 908 I can check out for future knowledge. Thanks for the reply!! 

I think a lot boils down to the fact that some don’t know how to properly cast legit heavy baits. Then again, we all  have different preferences in how a rod should feel I’m sure. 

And I have nothing against a Leviathan. Just never ran into the opportunity to buy one. And you’re welcome. 

Never fished the leviathan so no comment there. But the Hinkle doesn’t even begin to push the limit of the 908. One big thing I’d consider is the action of them both. You’re getting a rod for big hard baits. A good hard bait rod is always going to flex a bit further into the blank. The 908 is NOT pool cue. It’s really fairly parabolic while being able to toss 13-14oz. Many rods can cast big baits, but many of those tend to lose you a lot of fish because they’re too stiff right to the tip. You want some flex when that fish is tossing around 10oz when it comes up shaking it’s head. 

Further, I’ve just looked up the leviathan and it appears to be a 7’11”? I dont think a soul in his right mind would ever want to be tossing 10oz on a rod that short. The difference in comfort will 1000x greater on the 8’10” rod. I don’t even need to hold the leviathan…..my vote goes to the 908. 

Edited by Mossypumpkin

2 minutes ago, Mossypumpkin said:

Further, I’ve just looked up the leviathan and it appears to be a 7’11”? I dont think a soul in his right mind would ever want to be tossing 10oz on a rod that short. The difference in comfort will 1000x greater on the 8’10” rod. I don’t even need to hold the leviathan…..my vote goes to the 908. 

The Omega XXH is 8’ but yes, can certainly see what you are saying about the parabolic bend probably throwing some anglers off. I have the Dobyns 795 and 867 so I am a little familiar with how Dobyns perform. Maybe I’ll just have to get both lol

Sounds like you got a solid answer but if anyone is looking further into it Mark at NefCustoms makes a badass xxh stick. Thing is a rocket launcher with a hinkle, soft tip and loads up on fish really well. He is a dope guy too 

B104BE7D-F0DB-4C55-B4E4-BEC1391DF057.jpeg

6671CAB5-DD6D-4B34-9CAA-3E32F3417935.jpeg

On 2/21/2022 at 3:37 PM, Phiderman said:

Sounds like you got a solid answer but if anyone is looking further into it Mark at NefCustoms makes a badass xxh stick. Thing is a rocket launcher with a hinkle, soft tip and loads up on fish really well. He is a dope guy too 

B104BE7D-F0DB-4C55-B4E4-BEC1391DF057.jpeg

6671CAB5-DD6D-4B34-9CAA-3E32F3417935.jpeg

I went Leviathan, but I followed Nef over on Instagram. Thanks for the info!