Set up for throwing Hinkle Trout

Nickjack8

I just bought my first Hinkle Trout from Andrew, I have a rod that will throw it well. I am worried about my reel and line, I have a Diawa Taltua 300 and a 13 fishing concept A3. Also I have 20 Abrazx line, will that work to throw that size of bait? 

To clarify, you just BOUGHT or GOT? If you just bought, you have some time to think :lol:

Definitely go up to 25# mono. Braid? I wouldn’t unless you’re confident you’ll never throw a backlash or you’re gonna send your new Hinkle to the next nearest body of water. Mono will absorb that shock and hopefully save you $400. 

I’m sure the reel is fine but haven’t heard anything great about them personally. I’d make sure you’re fishing a quality rod. Don’t throw a $400 bait on a $100 rod. Fishing a 10oz is a different game than fishing a 5oz bait. 

1 minute ago, Mossypumpkin said:

To clarify, you just BOUGHT or GOT? If you just bought, you have some time to think :lol:

Definitely go up to 25# mono. Braid? I wouldn’t unless you’re confident you’ll never throw a backlash or you’re gonna send your new Hinkle to the next nearest body of water. Mono will absorb that shock and hopefully save you $400. 

I’m sure the reel is fine but haven’t heard anything great about them personally. I’d make sure you’re fishing a quality rod. Don’t throw a $400 bait on a $100 rod. Fishing a 10oz is a different game than fishing a 5oz bait. 

Agreed on this. If you just bought it, you have at least a year to get your setup dialed in. I would avoid braid also on a bait like that, mono will be much more forgiving. And I’d stay away from using the concept A3, I had a couple awhile back and they were junk in my opinion

2 hours ago, Phiderman said:

22lb sunline shooter, same diameter as 20lb abrasx and it has a little stretch so it is forgiving. You will be fine with a tatula 300 for years. 

Ever tried tatsu 22 lb? It's the same diameter as most 17 lb and is basically like mono, good stuff. 

Personally, i would not get a 400 size reel. i like a 300 size, it fits better in the palm IMO. i was fishing my ghost and kurouto BG320 on a tranX 301HG. i like the quicker line pick up to control glides. i had 25lb Izorline XXX and never had a problem with line capacity or casting distance. IMO picking a rod that suits you is the most important thing for large baits. personally i liked a 7'8" rod. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 5:41 PM, Mossypumpkin said:

Yea  just ordered it haha, thanks for the feedback!