Pizz Lil Chief Shiner

jkarol24

Swimbait Review: Pizz Lil Chief Shiner

The Lil Chief Shiner is one of Pizz Swimbaits' newer offerings, and is the smaller version of the Big Chief Shiner. The bait is a 2 pc resin Glide bait, and the one I fished was of the low float variety (barely floats). The bait comes in at 6.75", and weighs 2.4 oz. This particular bait is in the Swimbait Universe Colab color released at The Gathering last fall. 

Starting with the straight retrieve, the Lil Chief swims in a fluid and natural manner, with a noticeable head hunt that causes a thump back to the rod. The bait maintains depth well, and stays upright and level. The bait is halfway between a Slalom-Style and a choppy swim, and has very little body roll on the transitions. 

I was also able to slow the bait down to a crawl and continue to display a similar swimming action, with the bait swimming through its full range of motion. Conversly, I was also able to retrieve the bait with quite a bit of speed, maybe one notch below a burn. 

Starting off with slow and easy reel bumps, the Lil Chief has a pretty wide glide relative to the baits size, and seems to straighten out well after the turn. There is very little body roll on those transitions, and the bait showed plenty of stability. I did notice a slight nose up if I overworked the bait, but it was manageable. It seemed as if the bait would nose up on the very soft and long inputs, but with a bit more firmness, I was able to achieve that wide glide without issue. 

Next, I gave some firmer and faster inputs, both with the reel and also the rod rip. With the reel, you can make the bait slash back and forth, while also getting some nice glide distance if a little slack is added at the end of the hit. The bait maintained stability nicely, and stayed very level in the water column. If you want to make the bait only turn, and not glide, then you use the rod tip twitch, which can be done with a very fast cadence if desired. Combine both the reel chops and the rod twitches to get an erratic retrieve, as the bait will have no issue accepting a various amount of inputs back to back.

I threw the Lil Chief Shiner on a Leviathan Heavy, paired with a Curado 300E spooled with 20 Lb Izorline Copoly. Going to a fluro would likely turn the bait into a XSS, and you could certainly also upsize hooks (stock is size 2 Gammi Round Bends, so either size 2 quads or heavier Guage Owners). 

I hope you enjoyed Today's Review. Thanks for joining. I will be traveling all week, so my apologies if I am slow with correspondences this week.