Slammer slurping hybrid!

FishDr

Lots of states have pure striped bass, and I'm jealous of those states, because a striper has a mouth like a bucket that was made for inhaling swimbaits. Some states, like Colorado, mainly have hybrid striped bass (striped bass x white bass), which we call "wipers" here in Colorado. They do get big, but they inherited the white bass mouth size, so they don't have quite the same inhaling ability as their striper parent does. Still, some guys get into them on swimbaits...

This morning this 30 - 33" wiper (it kept kicking when I tried to measure it, hence the range) crashed my custom Slammer, raising a heck of a boiling splash on the surface. A new species for me on the Slammer and a surprise (I didn't know the lake I was fishing had wiper).

file_zpsee7c6688.jpg

Thanks, again, for the comments, everyone!

How big is that slammer weve got tons of hybrids out here id like to catch. biggest one caught out here not from me was 20lbs recently

The Slammer in question is the 9" version, but I think a 7" might be more effective, given the relatively small mouth of the wiper. The first fish I had follow a swimbait were some wipers that swam alongside the 7" slammer, but they wouldn't eat it!

Nice hybrid! I have seen them hit 12 inch plus bait fish over and over on the surface because they can't get it in their mouth.

Do you have any footage of this? It'd be wicked to watch!

• 3 weeks later...