Antares Monster Drive

PKNNH

This seems to be the new must have swimbait reel. I love my Z but am debating on getting an MD DC for another rod.

Any reviews and thoughts are welcomed.

Heard and seen nothing but issues with these reels. 

buddy got one instead of the conquest like I suggested, he had it 2 months before he sold it and got a conquest 

no drainage is one issue, side cover holds water from rain/splashing etc 

he had some other issues 

plus the price tag is $$$$ 

1 minute ago, PKNNH said:

I totally would but I want something that is at least a 7.1 gear ratio.

I would go with a much cheaper daiwa 200 option which are available in every gear ratio under the sun. I just didn’t find the build quality on the antares to be that much better than any other low profile reel, it also comes with a 90 mm handle stock which isn’t a deal breaker but is a little funky for a big bait reel imo I like 95-105mm just a preference thing I guess. Personally don’t think the dc function is all that superior either, nice in heavy wind I will admit but my favorite “luxury” feature on any reel has been the synced level wind on high end round reels, keeps the line neat and no overlays. Those conquests are built like tanks with low machining tolerances and when you pick one up you know why it costs what it costs. I didn’t get that from the Antares but to each his own. Currently fishing a zillion hd after selling the Antares and I prefer the zillion. Was on the fence about getting the conquest 200 but opted to go with the zillion and a spare spool for cost effectiveness. If the budget allows, the conquests are the nicest reel out there IMO. Daiwa has been slowly winning me over with their designs lately tho, particularly the 200 size big bait reels they have that market cornered with several options at varying price points 

On 5/3/2022 at 10:08 AM, PKNNH said:

This seems to be the new must have swimbait reel. I love my Z but am debating on getting an MD DC for another rod.

Any reviews and thoughts are welcomed.

Nothing bad to say about mine. Throws the k9 and the tiny Klash a mile, fishes the slyguy gill and trout really well also. Caught a fair amount of smaller 2-4lb fish and a 9lb striper with no issues. Having said that I also like the 18 zillion hd a lot…….

Edited by Phiderman

On 5/4/2022 at 7:18 AM, PKNNH said:

I totally would but I want something that is at least a 7.1 gear ratio.

I got a conquest XG for that exact reason! 7.5 to 1 ratio. I love conquests so I sold my Antares MD to fund it. That being said I really liked the Antares and I didn’t have any issues with it, I just like conquests more. I’ll be getting another XG too, and they’re less than $400 shipped from Japan.